Quantcast

Got Talent? training, dedication, and more... to really shine, you got to have talent.

Gonzo

Got Talent?

There’s something to be said about having the skills needed to be a modern day mechanic. A true mechanic and not some guy just turning wrenches in a bone yard or playing around in his home garage. The skill of a talented mechanic is something that is accumulated over years of bending over a hood, but it also can be taught by a skilled teacher at a tech school, too. However, all the years of experience and all the training in the world can make you a pretty good mechanic, but you need one other thing, and that’s talent.

Red Skelton once said to his young protégé, “Talent is something you’re born with. Even if you are standing behind a brick wall, your talent will come through.” That protégé was none other than Johnny Carson, the King of late night television for 30 years. The same thing applies to the art of being a proficient, modern mechanic. Just like in any other field you can go into, you have to be able to take the knowledge you’ve inhaled from school or OJT and be able to apply it to the work you’re doing.

Some very talented people work in this field, and it’s not hard to tell who they are. Repair shops all over the country are looking for mechanics, and there seems to be a never ending shortage of them, but what those employers are really looking for is talent. Talent, isn’t necessarily something that can be taught, it’s something that comes natural. You can gain the talent if you don’t already have it, but it may take quite some time to develop those skills. Advanced classes help, OJT helps, and a whole lot of afterhours dedication doesn’t hurt either. As the old saying goes, “A good mechanic is never out of work.” Very true, however that old saying should actually be stated as, “A talented mechanic is never out of work.”

Everyone has some sort of talent, some sort of skill that separates them from the pack. For some, it’s an odd ball skill that gets them “15 minutes” of fame on the local news, while others have something they can turn into a career. Singing, for example has always been considered a “talent”, that’s a fair assessment of a trained singer’s abilities. But I think singing is more of a gift and ability combined.

Most people who can carry a tune are either born with it or find out in later life they have the talent for it. I’m not sure I’ve ever heard of somebody suddenly developing that perfect soprano voice by accident. Even though I can’t sing a note, I still blare out my favorite song in the shower, but I know I don’t have the talent for it. If you’ve got what it takes to become a singer and you’re going to go to a prestigious school to develop those skills, chances are you’ve already got the singing voice. It’s not like you’re going to “learn” how to begin to sing when you’re there, you already can. The school just brings out the qualities of your talent. As for me, it would be a waste of time, it’s not my talent.

For the mechanic, there’s no doubt a natural ability is something a lot of talented mechanics carry with them, and their abilities are only enhanced with continual schooling. But, there are a lot of guys and gals who love cars and things mechanical and want to work in the field as a mechanic, but lack the ability to actually perform the job. This is so evident with a lot of weekend wrenchers who attempt to repair their own cars at home. It could be from a lack of a few basic skills, or a lack of mechanical abilities… or it could be they don’t have the talent for it either.

I hear it all the time from people who come into the shop to have their car repaired after they’ve spent countless hours swapping parts and pondering over a repair manual. They all say the same thing, “I do all of my own work.” Well, I seriously doubt they could actually do “all” their own work. More likely they’ve managed to change a few spark plugs or something. I’ve been at this trade for several decades and I can assure you I can’t do it all, and I don’t see how some weekend nut spinner with zero training in today’s cars could possibly be able to do it all either.

Sure, if you are one of those people who have two left feet, I’m sure in time you could learn to dance, and if you’re one of those people who can’t remember, “Righty tighty – lefty loosey” you can acquire the needed skills to become a top notch mechanic, too. But, there’s something to be said when a person finds the trade or skill they have their own natural ability in and their talent shines through. Ask most any tech college teacher and they’ll tell you the same thing, “Not all the students in here will make it to graduation.” Nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just that “talent” part of it is exposed in the early stages of becoming a full-fledged mechanic. You either got it, or ya gotta learn it, or you may never get it. Then again, it might a good thing you found out early that this trade isn’t cut out for you, and looking into a different career might be your best options.

Even though this trade still has a lot of heavy lifting, lots of grease and grime, and way too many scrapes and bruises to count it’s also one that the fair sex is taking notice. There’s some real talent in a lot of the gals I know in the trade. I find it rather amusing that nearly all the gals I personally know who are mechanics don’t have a problem asking for help when they get stuck on a problem or need a bit of extra muscle. But, the guys, well… I guess there’s a bit of that machoism about it that makes a few of them a little less likely to ask for help. I’m positive that in the future even more women will be in the trade, and I think that’s a step in the right direction to bring more respect to this trade as well.

If you’ve been in the trade for some time, male or female I’m sure you can spot a talented mechanic when you’ve talked to them for a bit, and I’m sure you can also spot some socket jockey trying to impress you with their past conquests rather than actual talent. I know I can. I always refer back to the old saying, “It don’t take me long to look at a horseshoe.”

It is a trade that needs more talented people in it. The cars are getting more and more complicated, and merely changing a couple of parts doesn’t make you a mechanic any more than me a singer because I sing a cappella style in the shower. The question is… got talent?

View full article

• Like 2

Great article and 100% correct. Sometimes we spend too much effort to bring out in someone what's not in them to begin with. Give me talent, the rest we can teach.

Great stuff Gonzo!

Thanx Joe.

Speaking of talent, I can say there were many in my place of work that had it. Most are gone now for various reasons,(retirement, moving on to other more challenging jobs,etc) the business changed over the years, which I am sorry to say. Boy,I can say we had some talent back in the day. There were guys that could take a piece of crappy working equipment, modify it and make it work much better. Yes that was in the day when the company designed their own equipment, now everything is pretty much bought off the shelf!

• Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX, NAPA TRACS, and Automotive Management Network "I Went to Yale Law School and Trade School Because American Prosperity Depends on Both Lawyers and Tradespeople." Darnell Epps Darnell Epps, a Yale Law School graduate and CEO of Thurgood Industries, and Andy Bizub, owner of Midwest Performance Cars, discuss the importance of skilled trades and the need to promote alternative career paths. Darnell shares his inspiring journey from a challenging upbringing to success, emphasizing the value of vocational schools and education. Andy highlights the urgent demand for skilled workers in the automotive industry. Together, they advocate for greater collaboration between industry, education, and families to bridge the skills gap and create fulfilling career opportunities. Darnell Epps, CEO, Thurgood Industries Andy Bizub, Midwest Performance Cars, Chicago and Northbrook, IL.  Andy’s previous episodes HERE. Show Notes
      Darnell's Law School Experience (00:02:31) Darnell shares his memorable graduation moment at Yale Law School with his children present. Darnell's Background in Brooklyn (00:03:20) He discusses growing up and overcoming challenges through education. Connecting Darnell's Story to Skilled Trades (00:04:32) Carm highlights the relevance of Darnell's experiences to the skilled trades industry. Darnell's Journey to Lincoln Tech (00:04:53) Darnell explains his decision to attend Lincoln Tech while working on legal issues in low-income neighborhoods. Skills Gap in the Workforce (00:06:39) Darnell discusses the desperate need for skilled workers in various industries he encountered. Darnell's Training at Lincoln Tech (00:07:45) He details his enrollment in a machining program and his experience at the Kentucky Advanced Manufacturing Institute. Tapping into Hidden Talent (00:09:20) Darnell emphasizes the importance of connecting skilled trades with underutilized talent in communities. Need for Skilled Workers in Automotive (00:10:27) Andy highlights the projected demand for automotive technicians over the next decade. Parallels in Darnell and Andy's Stories (00:11:36) Andy shares similarities in their backgrounds and the importance of skilled trades for future generations. Importance of Alternative Education Pathways (00:12:48) Both speakers stress the need for diverse career paths beyond traditional education. Engaging Parents in Career Decisions (00:13:21) Darnell advocates for involving parents in discussions about alternative career options for their children. Celebrating Skilled Trades (00:14:57) Darnell expresses his desire to raise awareness about the craftsmanship and opportunities in skilled trades. Changing Perceptions of Education (00:15:39) Darnell challenges the notion that success is only achievable through traditional college pathways. Personal Educational Experiences (00:20:08) Andy shares his own college dropout story and how he found his passion in the trading business. Job Security in Legal vs. Technical Fields (00:20:36) Andy highlights the job security differences between legal professions and technical trades amid automation. The Evolution of Skilled Trades (00:21:18) Discussion on the changing perception of blue-collar jobs and the need for skilled workers. Automation and Job Security (00:21:40) Exploration of how automation is transforming factory jobs, enhancing the need for skilled labor. AI and Productivity in Repair Shops (00:23:34) The potential of AI to improve technician productivity and efficiency in automotive repair. Goals of Thurgood Industries (00:26:27) Darnell shares his vision for connecting employers with hidden talent pools in underserved communities. Building a Community for Skilled Workers (00:29:04) Discussion on creating a platform to celebrate skilled workers and improve public perception. Introducing the Thurgood App (00:32:35) Overview of the app designed for skills assessments and community engagement among skilled workers. Darnell's Legal Aspirations (00:35:28) Darnell discusses his plans for the bar exam and pro bono legal work in the future. Advocating for Skilled Trades (00:39:23) The need for industry leaders to engage with educators and promote the importance of skilled trades.
      Thanks to our Partners, AAPEX, NAPA TRACS, and Automotive Management Network Set your sights on Las Vegas in 2024. Mark your calendar now … November 5th-7th, 2024. AAPEX - Now more than ever. And don’t miss the next free AAPEX webinar. Register now at http://AAPEXSHOW.COM/WEBINAR NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Get ready to grow your business with the Automotive Management Network: Find on the Web at http://AftermarketManagementNetwork.com for information that can help you move your business ahead and for the free and informative http://LaborRateTracker.com Connect with the Podcast: -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on X: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections            
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      A lifelong student of history - this episode began as a serious topic of interest for Craig - and evolved into multiple conversations with a special guest. 
      For our listeners, we took our time with this episode and it was reviewed with careful consideration due to the significance of the subject.
      On June 6, 2024 - many of us in the free world paused to recognize a significant anniversary. The 80th anniversary of D-Day.
      D-Day, also known as Operation Overlord, was the allied invasion of Normandy to liberate Europe from Nazi tyranny. 
      There have been other milestone anniversaries of D-Day, but this year came at a very challenging time in the world and hits very differently that previous years for other reasons.
      The conversation begins around why that is.
      One term that was raised in one of the many articles written on the topic - was that we are losing our ‘tangible interpreters’ of the event. 
      The people who were there in 1944, the people that many of us knew or were even raised by, sadly, will not be with us much longer.  The knowledge of these major events now passes to those of us fortunate to know those who lived it and to take care in how we communicate these events to new generations who soon will never have the chance to meet a veteran of WWII.
      To help with this topic - Craig knew the perfect guest, Evan Wisner.
      When sharing an anniversary article with Evan, that article highlighted the Army Rangers DDAY operation on Point Du Huc, a conversation followed that we decided to take to the recording studio.
      Craig came to know Evan and appreciates his unique experiences and expertise as they are both members of Grand Rapids Toastmasters Club#404 - joining the club around the same time in 2019.  This means - Craig gets to hear a lot of great speeches from Evan.  Since Evan is both an EQ expert as well as a veteran of the war on terror who served alongside Army Rangers, you can be certain he brings a unique perspective to this conversation that makes it very much worth listening to.
      We ask listeners to take into consideration that this was a discussion focused on one major operation of a larger campaign of a greater war, and that all history, especially discussion around war, is limited, and does not tell every story, and often needs context for understanding.
      Thank You To Our Partners:
      The Institute at We Are The Institute.  "Stop stressing over your business, you deserve a good night's sleep. The Institute’s coaching helps you achieve success and financial peace.
      AutoFlow at AutoFlow.com. Your partner in technology, Autoflow consolidates your client interactions - before, during and after the visit to a single thread. Learn more at Autoflow.com
      AutoLeap at AutoLeap.com. Are you tired of juggling multiple tools to manage your auto repair shop? Say hello to the streamlined efficiency of AutoLeap, the #1 all-in-one Auto Repair Shop Management Software!
      App Fueled at appfueled.com. “Are you ready to convert clients to members? AppFueled™ specializes in creating custom apps tailored specifically for auto repair businesses. Build your first app like a pro”
      Shop Dog Marketing at Shop Dog Marketing.com. "Want to see your auto repair shop thrive? Let Shop Dog Marketing be your guide. Our customer-first approach, combined with AI-driven creative content, ensures top rankings.
      Contact Information
      Craig O'Neill Email: HERE  
      The Aftermarket Radio Network

Remarkable Results Radio Podcast with Carm Capriotto: Advancing the Aftermarket by Facilitating Wisdom Through Story Telling and Open Discussion
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life.
      The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Kim and Brian Walker: Marketing Experts Brian & Kim Walker Work with Shop Owners to Take it to the Next Level.
      The Weekly Blitz with Chris Cotton: Weekly Inspiration with Business Coach Chris Cotton from AutoFix - Auto Shop Coaching.
      Business by the Numbers with Hunt Demarest: Understand the Numbers of Your Business with CPA Hunt Demarest.
      Speak Up! Effective Communication with Craig O'Neill: Develop Interpersonal and Professional Communication Skills when Speaking to Audiences of Any Size.
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, Shop Boss, and 360 Payments
      Matt Fanslow, host of "Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z," discusses the critical importance of consulting service information before performing vehicle maintenance or repairs. Matt shares multiple real-world scenarios illustrating why thoroughly understanding service procedures is essential to avoiding costly mistakes and ensuring professional work.
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life. [email protected]
      Show Notes
      Importance of Service Information (00:00:25) Matt emphasizes the necessity of reading service information before starting any repair work. Common Mistakes in Vehicle Maintenance (00:01:12) Matt shares horror stories of technicians neglecting service information, leading to mistakes during vehicle maintenance. Encouragement to Use Service Info (00:04:03) Matt advises technicians to always consult service information before starting any job. Warranty Concerns and Accountability (00:05:05) Discussion on the importance of service information for warranty claims and accountability in repairs. Pay Structure and Professionalism (00:06:34) Matt addresses how pay structures can affect adherence to proper procedures in the automotive industry. Call to Action for Technicians (00:07:34) Matt encourages a cultural shift towards professionalism by prioritizing service information in repairs.  
      Thanks to our Partners, Shop Boss and 360 Payments

Shop Boss – Shop Management Software built by shop owners for shop owners. It works the way you need it to, right out of the box. Find on the web at https://shopboss.net
      Connect with the Podcast:
      -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/
      -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters
      -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976
      -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto
      -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/
      -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/
      -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz
      -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/
      -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider
      -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books
      -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom
      -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm
      -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com
      -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections
      The Aftermarket Radio Network
      Remarkable Results Radio Podcast with Carm Capriotto: Advancing the Aftermarket by Facilitating Wisdom Through Story Telling and Open Discussion
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life.
      The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Kim and Brian Walker: Marketing Experts Brian & Kim Walker Work with Shop Owners to Take it to the Next Level.
      The Weekly Blitz with Chris Cotton: Weekly Inspiration with Business Coach Chris Cotton from AutoFix - Auto Shop Coaching.
      Business by the Numbers with Hunt Demarest: Understand the Numbers of Your Business with CPA Hunt Demarest.
      Speak Up! Effective Communication with Craig O'Neill: Develop Interpersonal and Professional Communication Skills when Speaking to Audiences of Any Size.
    • By DUFRESNES

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Aubrey Amborn, Director of Sales for Net Driven, discusses the evolving marketing landscape in the automotive industry. She emphasizes the necessity of a robust online presence, effective SEO, and diverse communication methods to meet changing consumer preferences. Aubrey highlights the importance of adapting to digital trends, noting that 87% of consumers prefer text communication. The discussion also covers the impact of online reviews and the need for businesses to engage with customers through various channels to remain competitive. Aubrey Amborn, Director of Sales, Net Driven Show Notes
      Watch Full Video Episode The Shift from Traditional Marketing (00:02:37) Aubrey discusses the transition from word-of-mouth to online marketing strategies. Importance of Online Presence (00:03:52) Aubrey emphasizes that just having a website is no longer sufficient for businesses. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) (00:05:45) Aubrey explains the significance of SEO and its role in online visibility. Investment in Digital Marketing (00:07:40) Discussion on comparing digital marketing investments to physical store improvements. Website as an Online Destination (00:08:50) Aubrey describes the website as a crucial online destination for consumer engagement. Communication Preferences (00:11:11) Aubrey highlights the importance of providing various communication methods, especially text. Texting vs. Traditional Calls (00:14:11) Aubrey discusses the growing preference for texting over traditional phone calls. Pandemic's Impact on Online Growth (00:17:09) Aubrey reflects on how the pandemic accelerated the shift to online engagement. The Impact of Online Shopping (00:17:57) Discusses how consumers prefer online shopping and the influence of recommendations on their decisions. The Importance of Online Presence (00:18:58) Highlights the necessity for businesses to have a professional online presence to attract customers. Training for EV Vehicles (00:20:00) Details a training program for technicians on servicing hybrid and electric vehicles. Visual Reputation Matters (00:21:07) Explains how a business's appearance online affects consumer perceptions and decisions. Online Reviews as Modern Word of Mouth (00:21:50) Emphasizes the significance of online reviews in influencing consumer choices today. Handling Negative Reviews (00:23:05) Discusses the importance of addressing negative reviews transparently rather than trying to eliminate them. Consumer Expectations Post-Pandemic (00:25:30) Explores how consumer behavior and expectations have changed due to the pandemic. Adapting to Online Shopping Trends (00:26:47) Describes the challenges businesses face in keeping up with evolving online consumer behaviors. Building Customer Loyalty (00:27:54) Focuses on strategies to maintain customer loyalty in a competitive online environment. Understanding Different Customer Personas (00:32:27) Identifies three customer types and their unique shopping behaviors and preferences. Understanding Customer Personas (00:35:26) Discussion on different customer personas, focusing on tech-savvy individuals and millennials seeking convenience. Importance of Reviews and Reputation (00:36:17) Emphasis on the necessity for businesses to maintain a trustworthy online reputation to attract customers. Millennials and Convenience (00:37:03) Exploration of millennials' desire for immediate service and how businesses can earn their loyalty. Building Customer Relationships (00:38:15) The significance of personalized customer service to foster loyalty, even among less loyal millennials. Leveraging Customer Feedback (00:39:11) Using customer reviews as a tool for improvement and enhancing the overall customer experience. Adapting to E-commerce Trends (00:40:03) Discussion on the impact of e-commerce on brick-and-mortar businesses and the importance of online presence. Final Thoughts on Customer Engagement (00:41:05) Advice on maintaining loyal customers while welcoming new ones, emphasizing adaptability in business practices. Enhancing In-store Experience (00:42:20) Suggestions for using technology, like iPads, in shops to improve customer engagement and experience. Staying Ahead in the Digital World (00:43:46) The need for businesses to stay updated with digital trends to compete with larger chain stores.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Learn more about NAPA Auto Care and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting https://www.napaonline.com/en/auto-care Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections        

• Our Sponsors