Quantcast

Setting goals

I am in the process of starting to track important figures or 'key performance indicators'. Since I am a small growing shop, one of the easiest things to track is simply Gross Sales. I have been rewarding my employees (3) with going out to dinner at a restaurant of their choice any time we have a record month. My first question is, does anyone see a problem with this reward?

My second question is, how do you go about setting goals for KPIs? I know there will be different methods when comparing individual tech efficiency goals to gross sales goals, but how do you handle each one. How about shop productivity? Do you simply use industry bench marks or base your goals off your personal history?

Joe, would you have any recommendations for a shop management course for shop owners. Most I see are 1 day workshops designed to get you to sign up for coaching which I don't think a lot of business are willing to do or can afford. WorldPac was putting on some nice classes for service advisors that touched some of those subjects. I rather liked the WP classes since there is not pitch for more sales.

Joe, would you have any recommendations for a shop management course for shop owners. Most I see are 1 day workshops designed to get you to sign up for coaching which I don't think a lot of business are willing to do or can afford. WorldPac was putting on some nice classes for service advisors that touched some of those subjects. I rather liked the WP classes since there is not pitch for more sales.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure I need or can afford the 1 on 1 training/coaching that some of these companies want to offer. I started another thread asking about RLO training. I'm also curious about WorldPac, AMI, Elite, and a few others. Any input would be appreciated.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm not sure I need or can afford the 1 on 1 training/coaching that some of these companies want to offer. I started another thread asking about RLO training. I'm also curious about WorldPac, AMI, Elite, and a few others. Any input would be appreciated.

I can only comment on WP training. I ran through their Service Advisor Class years ago and it was great. It gave me a lot of insight on something I had no idea about. Even a seasoned service advisor/owner can get a lot of out refreshing on the material. IMO one of the best parts is the whole workshop/class is not meant to be a giant sales pitch on further services. I would love to go to some of their other offers however none ever seem to be in my area.

I wouldn't put too much stock in gross sales. ARO and margins tell you more about how your business is performing. If your advisor's incentives are based solely on sales, you have to watch that they aren't discounting to make sales. A few years back, we saw our sales numbers increasing, but our margins stunk, so we started working on margins and ARO and sales actually dropped, but we ended up taking more home. Once we felt we had a handle on the fundamentals we started pushing car count.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I really have no clue what KPI's to chase. Absolutely clueless however, this is what I've done shooting from the hip and so far it's been working.

MARGINS

• Advisor get's paid on part margins, inspections and diagnostic sales.
    • The retail price is pre-established by a 52% margin from napa prolink's pricing to us (they're the highest priced aftermarket vendor in our area).
    • We then call the other local vendors to ask them for there best price on product X and shop around amongst local vendors to beat it and we get dramatic price drops from online (sometimes finding the products for an additional 20-30% cheaper) so if the advisor takes the extra time to source it, he can dramatically increase his pay without becoming out of this world overpriced.

We've been doing this for the past 3 yrs and haven't burned any relationships as that's the first question I'm asked after I'm told that takes way to much time (do the #'s, 20-30% is huge).

• Technicians get paid on hours (If the variance goes outside 10% of our estimating guide, we want to know why).

I don't know what else to really do.

CSI SCORE

• Not really even a legitimate one, if the client is ecstatic with our service, we ask them to get online and write a review on FB and Google. 4.8 avg minimum or I get ornery.
  • Afraid of it becoming a leveraging system of clients over staff. Don't know how others have successfully approached that.

ARO

• Without a minimum requirement or a push, we've always approached it with this mentality: Would you rather see 30 cars to make $3,000 or would you rather see 3? Which one would be less frustrating?

CAR COUNT

• I've been afraid to chase this one as the immediate thought goes to "couponing" or something. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

That probably sums up my KPI's because that's all I know. Any suggestions? (Please refrain from insults and negative insinuations, I'm being transparent hoping that I'm asking questions others have but are afraid to ask for fear of looking silly.)

I really have no clue what KPI's to chase. Absolutely clueless however, this is what I've done shooting from the hip and so far it's been working.

MARGINS

• Advisor get's paid on part margins, inspections and diagnostic sales.
    • The retail price is pre-established by a 52% margin from napa prolink's pricing to us (they're the highest priced aftermarket vendor in our area).
    • We then call the other local vendors to ask them for there best price on product X and shop around amongst local vendors to beat it and we get dramatic price drops from online (sometimes finding the products for an additional 20-30% cheaper) so if the advisor takes the extra time to source it, he can dramatically increase his pay without becoming out of this world overpriced.

We've been doing this for the past 3 yrs and haven't burned any relationships as that's the first question I'm asked after I'm told that takes way to much time (do the #'s, 20-30% is huge).

• Technicians get paid on hours (If the variance goes outside 10% of our estimating guide, we want to know why).

I don't know what else to really do.

CSI SCORE

• Not really even a legitimate one, if the client is ecstatic with our service, we ask them to get online and write a review on FB and Google. 4.8 avg minimum or I get ornery.
  • Afraid of it becoming a leveraging system of clients over staff. Don't know how others have successfully approached that.

ARO

• Without a minimum requirement or a push, we've always approached it with this mentality: Would you rather see 30 cars to make $3,000 or would you rather see 3? Which one would be less frustrating?

CAR COUNT

• I've been afraid to chase this one as the immediate thought goes to "couponing" or something. Does anyone have any suggestions for this?

That probably sums up my KPI's because that's all I know. Any suggestions? (Please refrain from insults and negative insinuations, I'm being transparent hoping that I'm asking questions others have but are afraid to ask for fear of looking silly.)

Margins:

Parts profit margin and labor profit margin is good to track. Seems like you have the parts profit margin down. Ultimately a total profit margin combining parts and labor is what you want to to see to get your GROSS profit margin. Industry target standard is 60% combined.

For technician labor hours you want to track productivity and efficiency. Productivity is the amount of time they spend actually working during the hours they are in the building/clocked in for. For instance a person that is very diligent in an 8 hour day might spend 7.2 hours out of that work day working being productive opposed to another person only being productive 4 hours our of 8. We have to count bathroom and personal breaks but what you want is a high productivity % from your techs. Efficiency is how fast a tech can get their work done as per how much they are getting paid for the job. If you are paying salary then dividing the hours turned vs their day will produce the efficiency %. If they are flat rate then substitute their day with all the hours of their job that day. Both are good metrics to track but you will have to have your techs clock in and out of jobs to do so effectively.

CSI Score:

Best way to track CSI is to actually poll your customers. We don't to be transparent.

We do solicit for reviews regularly. It is kind of an art in the way you communicate with customers and the feeling you get from them. Due to the damage reviews can do to your online reputation you have to tread carefully. If we provided a great service and or they are a returning customer and they have not given us a review we tell them how much we appreciate their trust in us and we would be so grateful for a 5 star review so we can attract more great clients like themselves. This is why reviews arent the greatest way to get a true CSI score.

ARO:

A high ARO is a great way to indicate if your service advisers are selling additional needed services and if they are selling more hours. Speaking of hours, Hours per RO is another good way to track if your service advisers are doing their job well. What also coincides with ARO/HPRO is technician discovered work. If you want to have high tickets you have to have a lot of discovered work to sell. If you track what your tech's are discovering you can then calculate other metrics such as closing ratio.

Car Count:

Car count is a good measure of how well your marketing and CRM are performing. Of course more importantly is getting the right customers through the door however if your car count is constantly in a state of flux, that would be a good indication on focusing on your retention marketing as well as new customer marketing. We all battle with the highs and low to get it to smooth out as much as possible when it comes to car count.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By carmcapriotto
      Do you believe that every shop has a culture, whether intentional or not? Discover how to define your desired culture and lean into empowering leadership and personal development. This episode is packed with actionable insights and real-life stories to help you transform your shop’s culture from the ground up. Whether you’re struggling with high turnover or just want to create a more positive work environment, this discussion has something for everyone. Dave Schedin, CompuTrek Automotive Management Systems. Dave’s previous episodes HERE Maryann, Small Biz Vantage. Maryann’s previous episodes HERE. Rick White, President and Lead Coach for 180BIZ, Listen to Rick’s previous episodes HERE. [email protected] Show Notes
      Rick White on Culture (00:04:55) Rick White challenges the idea of "no culture," emphasizing intentional versus unintentional culture. Maryann Croce on Defining Culture (00:06:59) Maryann Croce discusses the importance of defining desired culture for employee engagement and customer perception. Discussion on Culture's Impact (00:11:53) The panel discusses how culture affects profitability, sustainability, and enjoyment in the workplace. Unethical Practices and Culture (00:12:44) Carm emphasizes the connection between poor culture and unethical practices within a business. Personal Development (00:14:09) Dave discusses how personal development influences a shop owner's ability to cultivate a positive culture. Rick White on Wisdom vs. Knowledge (00:16:54) Rick contrasts knowledge and wisdom, stressing the importance of applying knowledge to create a strong culture. Poor Culture Indicators (00:17:55) Discussion on signs of a poor workplace culture, including low morale and unsafe environments. Lack of Trust and Engagement (00:18:35) Exploration of how absence of trust leads to employee disengagement and its negative impact. Leadership and Growth (00:19:07) Importance of strong leadership for shop success and personal investment in leadership development. Business Ownership Realities (00:24:02) Reflections on the challenges of business ownership and the unexpected demands it brings. Hope and Future Potential (00:27:19) Emphasizing the need for hope and setting high goals to maintain motivation in business. Cultural Shifts and Coaching (00:30:38) Encouragement for gradual cultural improvements and the importance of seeking guidance from coaches. Core Culture Ingredients (00:33:17) Identifying key elements of a positive culture, including leadership behavior and employee recognition. Understanding Culture (00:37:00) Discussion on the significance of culture in a shop and the difficulty of addressing toxic behaviors. Toxic Employees and Culture (00:37:37) Rick shares experiences with toxic employees and how their negative impact can be mitigated. Firing Toxic Behavior (00:38:41) Dave narrates a tough conversation where he separates an employee's behavior from their identity. Difficult Conversations (00:41:06) The importance of having tough conversations to maintain a positive workplace culture is discussed. Burnout and Culture (00:42:46) The effects of burnout on shop owners and the necessity of a supportive culture are highlighted. Culture Change in Teams (00:46:45) The need for team members to see themselves as part of a whole is emphasized through a TV show example.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA TRACS NAPA TRACS will move your shop into the SMS fast lane with onsite training and six days a week of support and local representation. Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at http://napatracs.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Auto-Fix Auto Shop Coaching Proven Auto Shop Coaching with Results. Over 61 Million in ROI with an Average ROI of 9x. Find Coach Chris Cotton at AutoFix Auto Shop Coaching on the Web at https://autoshopcoaching.com/ Thanks to our Partner, Today's Class Optimize training with Today's Class: In just 5 minutes daily, boost knowledge retention and improve team performance. Find Today's Class on the web at https://www.todaysclass.com/Connect with the Podcast: -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on X: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections                      
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      In this episode of Business by the Numbers, host Hunt Demarest, CPA, dives into the critical role that productivity and efficiency play in the profitability of auto repair shops. Using real-world examples, Hunt explains the differences between these two metrics and how shop owners can leverage them to drive business success
      Productivity vs. Efficiency: Learn the key differences between productivity (work produced) and efficiency (how well time is used) and why both matter for your shop’s performance. Why Higher Efficiency Doesn’t Always Mean Higher Productivity: Discover why a 100% efficient technician may not always be productive and how to balance these metrics. Flat-Rate vs. Hourly Pay: Hunt explains the pros and cons of each pay structure and how they impact technician performance and shop profitability. Real-Life Example of Pay Impact: See how a shop owner improved profitability by hiring a higher-paid technician who produced more billable hours, leading to a dramatic increase in gross profit. How to Measure Productivity in Your Shop: Practical tips on using your shop management software to track productivity and efficiency and optimize your team’s output.  
      Thanks to our partner, NAPA TRACS

Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      Thanks to our partner, Promotive
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Download a Copy of My Books Here:
      Wrenches to Write-Offs Your Perfect Shop   
      The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/

Remarkable Results Radio Podcast with Carm Capriotto: Advancing the Aftermarket by Facilitating Wisdom Through Story Telling and Open Discussion.
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life.
      Business by the Numbers with Hunt Demarest: Understand the Numbers of Your Business with CPA Hunt Demarest.
      The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Kim and Brian Walker: Marketing Experts Brian & Kim Walker Work with Shop Owners to Take it to the Next Level.
      The Weekly Blitz with Chris Cotton: Weekly Inspiration with Business Coach Chris Cotton from AutoFix - Auto Shop Coaching.
      Speak Up! Effective Communication with Craig O'Neill: Develop Interpersonal and Professional Communication Skills when Speaking to Audiences of Any Size.
    • By nptrb

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      Understand the financial benefits of effective training for  Service Advisors and Customer Service Reps and the importance of networking and collaboration. November 9 - 10, 2024 in Detroit/Novi, MI Learn more at serviceadvisortraining.com
      Leigh Anne Best, Might Auto Pro, Medina, OH, trainer and co-founder of Brakes for Breasts Bill Hill, Might Auto Pro, Medina, OH, trainer and coach Maverick Shop Owners Laura Frank, former shop owner, trainer and co-founder of Brakes for Breasts Gerry Frank, former shop owner, trainer and coach for Maverick Shop Owners
      Show Notes
      Importance of Owner Participation (00:03:00) Carm emphasizes the need for shop owners to participate in training alongside their customer service representatives. Networking Benefits (00:04:22) The significance of networking among attendees at the training event for shared learning experiences. Experience of the Trainers (00:05:34) Highlighting the extensive experience of the trainers and their practical knowledge in customer service. Financial Implications of Training (00:06:04) Discussion on the financial benefits of effective customer service and training for shop owners. Technician to Service Advisor Success Story (00:09:01) Bill shares a success story of a technician who transitioned to a service advisor role and excelled. Transparency in Business Practices (00:12:00) Jerry talks about the importance of transparency and ethical practices in customer service. Hiring for Customer Service (00:14:20) Discussion on effective hiring practices for customer service representatives based on personality traits. Upcoming Live Training Event (00:16:34) Announcement of the live service advisor training event scheduled for November 9th and 10th in Detroit. Building Customer Relationships (00:20:22) Emphasizes the importance of educating customers about their vehicle issues for better service. Importance of Follow-up (00:21:20) Highlights the significance of following up with customers to encourage repeat visits. Training for All Staff (00:21:51) Stresses that training should include anyone who interacts with customers, not just CSRs. Tracking Phone Call Success (00:22:31) Discusses the importance of tracking opportunity calls to measure conversion rates effectively. Utilizing Technology for Improvement (00:23:33) Mentions the benefits of using technology to analyze customer interactions and improve service. Identifying Underlying Problems (00:24:52) Explores how phone answering issues can be mistaken for marketing problems. Adapting to Change in Business (00:26:06) Encourages business owners to evolve with industry changes and invest in staff training. Challenges in Leadership (00:27:19) Discusses difficulties in communicating effectively with staff and the importance of peer learning.The Value of Training (00:31:53) Argues that investing in training can sustain or even improve business revenue. Setting Staff Up for Success (00:33:27) Emphasizes the responsibility of leaders to properly train staff for their roles. Motivation for Collaboration (00:34:23) Explains the drive behind the coaches to organize training sessions for struggling clients. Helping Others Succeed (00:35:50) Emphasis on the joy of witnessing others' success and mentorship in the industry. Overcoming Training Paralysis (00:36:27) Addressing confusion in training and providing guidance to help shop owners move forward. Value of Training (00:41:49) Discussion on the impact of trained salespeople on business success and owner satisfaction.
      -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on X: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections
    • Sell your car with CarBrain
    • By Changing The Industry
      Episode 182 - Customer Escalations and Unusual Finds in Car Trunks With Auto Shop Follow Up

• Our Sponsors