Quantcast

Cart Before The Horse - - - Diagnose then repair, but for some it's "Fix what I tell you"

Gonzo

Cart Before The Horse

The phone rings at the repair shop, “How much to change the thermostat in my car?” the caller asks.

I can’t even begin to count how many times someone has called me and asked about the labor costs on a particular job. There are a few questions I’d like to ask before spouting out a number, but I usually hold those thoughts back a bit just to see where all this is leading too. My questions are:

1. Are you comparing a price from what the last shop quoted you?

2. Are you looking for a cheaper repair?

3. Are you just curious, or is calling repair shops for labor prices a recreational hobby of yours?

4. Are you guessing at what it needs, and the actual problem this car is having has never been properly diagnosed?

Nine chances out of ten, it’s number 4. This creates an even bigger problem for the repair shop. Now the question is should the repair shop give the quote as asked, or find out what the symptoms are and diagnose accordingly?

I’ve tried various different ways of handling these situations. None of which are a perfect answer. Sometimes I just look up the quote and move on, and sometimes I’ll ask if it has been previously tested by a qualified repair person. Sometimes, I’ve even asked, “What were you quoted before?” Each and every response I give generally tests my fortitude. What seems to be the norm is not if you’re qualified to perform the repair or have the right equipment to actually make the repair, but are you cheaper than the last guy who quoted the price. As far as getting to the real issue of what is wrong vs. taking that “swag” (Scientific Wild Ass Guess) approach, they seem to prefer their own diagnostic abilities. This only leads to more confusion, frustration, and disbelief in the auto repair person or shop when you question the reason for the quote.

It seems for some of these callers, their diagnostics consists of asking around, checking the internet, or asking a friend who’s a “mechanic” (we all know that guy) what is wrong with their car. They would rather take the word of someone who is not familiar with the car or the related problems, and change parts that probably don’t need changed rather than pay for any diagnostic time to find out what’s really wrong. But, you know after leaving the repair shop that provided them with the lowest bid for the repair… and their car still isn’t functioning the way they perceived it should, they almost always come up with their own conclusion (Again)... “Mechanics are all rip offs, and they don’t know what they’re doing.”

Self-diagnosing doesn’t work with the medical field, nor does it work in the automotive field. Sure, you might get it right once in a while, but the majority of the time the self-inflicted diagnosis is way off base. The big issue at the repair shop is how to get past this false diagnostics and get to the real problem, without having a major melt down of the customer/technician relationship.

The other day it was a father who came into the shop asking for prices on replacing a ball joint and shocks on his son’s truck. It didn’t seem too farfetched of a question based on the type of truck, the age, and the mileage. So, I shot him a few prices for the labor, which he then told me he would supply the parts himself (dad works for a parts supplier) . Fair enough, even though I would have liked to have known that before I priced out the job. But, no big deal, I still haven’t seen the truck, so all bets are off as to whether or not this is going to happen.

A few days later, just before closing, the phone rang and it’s the son calling about his truck. It turns out he doesn’t really know what his truck needs, and he’s been doing his own price shopping. He told me another shop quoted him a cheaper price than what I gave him, so he wants to know if I would lower my original estimate. Seriously, you want me to lower my labor costs based on the fact that - 1 - you don’t even know what’s really wrong with the truck, and - 2 - somebody quoted you lower prices? Let’s just say, I wasn’t all that hospitable. I told him it would be advisable to have it checked out first, then get estimates on what really needs done. After you know what work really needs done, then you can start your price shopping again. I told him the way he’s going about it I might as well give him estimates for every type of repair I can think of that I’ve ever done on that type of truck, and then let him pick which ones his wallet can handle. Because, it’s not worth it for me to play “his price vs. my price” without knowing what in the world actually needs done. Needless to say, I still haven’t seen the truck.

Putting the cart before the horse just doesn’t work in this day and age in the automotive world. To ask for a price quote is one thing, but to think your guess is correct is about as good as following the so called labor “guide” as the absolute answer to the cost of repairs. Here’s the deal, thinking that all it could be is a bad thermostat, and asking for a quote on replacing it just because there’s no heat in the car is as foolish a way of diagnosing a problem as putting on a blindfold and throwing a dart at a wall expecting to hit the right answer. There are so many different possible failures that can cause no heat in the passenger compartment that it’s absolutely idiotic to lump it all into a stuck open thermostat without having it tested first. The same thing applies with just about any other automotive repair these days. Aside from going out to the car one morning and finding a flat tire most everything else about the modern automobile requires some sort of evaluation, and not a mere guess or a peek under the hood.

I wonder if back in the day of horse and buggies whether or not the local blacksmith had these same issues to deal with. Even then, if the cart made it to the repair shop before the horse I’m sure some novice would have their own “swag” as to why it happened. Times have changed, the buggies have changed... but some people still put the proverbial cart before the horse.

View full article

• Like 1

Frank, in the last decade or so, I'll bet I've only changed a couple of thermostats with actual failures. If I used a percentage of repairs per thermostat replacement... I'd say less than 2 percent actually needed a thermostat. That's 98 percent of the time their "guess" is wrong.

A lot of people base their "home diagnostics" on old ideas of how a car works. And, if they just so happen to have one of those cars where it takes several hours to remove the thermostat you can bet there's some hot tempers going to surface.

Been there... dealt with it... so on and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this episode, Coach Chris Cotton from Auto Fix Auto Shop Coaching delves into a range of strategies designed to help auto repair shop owners elevate their business operations through the implementation of the "Profit First" methodology. This approach is centered around the critical aspects of cash flow management, profitability enhancement, and the adoption of effective financial practices. Chris underscores the significance of establishing separate accounts specifically for profit, taxes, and operating expenses to ensure a clear and organized financial structure. He also highlights the necessity of having supportive financial partners, such as banks and accountants, who can provide valuable guidance and support.
      Furthermore, Chris encourages shop owners to take proactive steps towards improving their financial health by engaging with educational resources, such as watching a webinar or seeking additional guidance tailored to their specific needs. This episode is proudly sponsored by Shop Marketing Pros, a company dedicated to providing specialized marketing strategies aimed at boosting the visibility and success of auto repair shops. Through their sponsorship, Shop Marketing Pros underscores their commitment to supporting the growth and development of businesses within the auto repair industry.

Introduction to the Episode (00:00:04)
      Coach Chris Cotton introduces the podcast and its focus on auto repair business strategies.  
      Importance of Profit First (00:01:01)

Chris discusses the significance of adopting the Profit First mentality for auto repair businesses.  
      Webinar Promotion (00:02:20)

Information about an upcoming webinar on implementing the Profit First system is provided.  
      Understanding Cash Flow (00:03:24)

The necessity of managing cash flow for successful auto repair operations is emphasized.  
      Challenges with Traditional Accounting (00:04:35)

Critique of traditional accounting methods and their inadequacy for auto repair shops.  
      Profit First Methodology Explained (00:05:46)

Overview of the Profit First approach and its application in the auto repair industry.  
      Setting Up Separate Accounts (00:06:58)

The importance of establishing separate accounts for profit, taxes, and expenses is discussed.  
      Bank and Accountant Collaboration (00:08:02)

Challenges in getting banks and accountants on board with the Profit First system are explored.  
      Incorporating Dave Ramsey's Principles (00:10:16)

Integration of financial control principles from Dave Ramsey is highlighted for better financial management.  
      Results of Implementing the System (00:11:27)

The positive outcomes of using the auto shop profits and cash flow system are outlined.  
      Call to Action (00:14:44)

Chris encourages listeners to take proactive steps in managing their shop's finances effectively.  

https://autoshopcoaching.com/
      https://connect.autoshopcoaching.com/profits-cashflow-webinar-form

Connect with Chris:

[email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      In this episode of "Business by the Numbers," Hunt Demarest, CPA, kicks off a three-part series breaking down the 2024 Automotive Industry benchmark report for auto repair shops across the country. This report gives a clear look at how shops are performing financially and operationally, helping owners see where they stand.
      Key Points:
      • Benchmark Report Basics: The episode starts by explaining a detailed report that covers sales, profits, and key metrics for different types of auto repair shops, including Euro and diesel shops in various regions.
      • Sales and Tech Performance: The report shows average monthly sales per technician, highlighting how important it is to make sure your techs are productive and hitting industry standards.
      • Profit Margins: Hunt dives into the differences in profit margins on labor and parts, showing how different types of shops (like general repair versus high-end) stack up in terms of profitability.
      • Rising Costs: There’s a discussion on how rising costs, especially in labor and rent, are squeezing profits, and why keeping costs in check is crucial to staying in the black.
      • Industry Trends: The episode also covers big industry trends, like the need to offer solid employee benefits to attract good workers, and the different ways shops are paying their staff.
      • DOWNLOAD THE REPORT HERE: https://paarmelis.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/08/2024-PMA-Benchmark-Report.pdf
      Thanks to our partner, NAPA TRACS
      Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      Thanks to our partner, Promotive
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Download a Copy of My Books Here:
      Wrenches to Write-Offs Your Perfect Shop   
      The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/

Remarkable Results Radio Podcast with Carm Capriotto: Advancing the Aftermarket by Facilitating Wisdom Through Story Telling and Open Discussion.
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life.
      Business by the Numbers with Hunt Demarest: Understand the Numbers of Your Business with CPA Hunt Demarest.
      The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Kim and Brian Walker: Marketing Experts Brian & Kim Walker Work with Shop Owners to Take it to the Next Level.
      The Weekly Blitz with Chris Cotton: Weekly Inspiration with Business Coach Chris Cotton from AutoFix - Auto Shop Coaching.
      Speak Up! Effective Communication with Craig O'Neill: Develop Interpersonal and Professional Communication Skills when Speaking to Audiences of Any Size.
    • By Changing The Industry
      The Secret to Getting Job Authorizations In Your Auto Repair Shop #podcast
    • By carmcapriotto
      When running your auto repair shop, burnout, stress, and exhaustion can feel like constant companions. How do you reignite your passion and find balance amidst the daily challenges?
      In this episode of the Auto Repair Marketing Podcast, Kim Walker hosts a solo cast with guest Jeff Salzenstein, a former professional tennis player turned coach and speaker. 
      Jeff shares his transformative journey from the tennis courts to becoming a coach focused on holistic well-being. He offers invaluable insights on overcoming adversity, redefining success, and managing burnout and stress through practical techniques like heart-focused breathing and tapping. 
      Jeff’s emphasis on resilience, mindset, and the interconnectedness of mind, body, and soul will inspire and equip you with tools to enhance your personal and professional well-being.
      Tune in for an episode packed with actionable strategies to help you thrive in both your business and personal life. Don’t miss it!
      Thank you to RepairPal for sponsoring The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. Learn more about RepairPal at https://repairpal.com/shops
      How To Get In Touch With The Guest
      https://www.jeffsalzenstein.com/ 
      https://www.instagram.com/jeffsalzenstein/ 
      https://www.facebook.com/jeffsalzensteinspeaker 
      How To Get In Touch
      Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected]