Quantcast

Questions, Answers, and Questions - - Some people answer their own questions...only to leave with no answers.

Gonzo

Questions, Answers, and Questions

A question and answer discussion starts the minute this fella walks up to the service counter and asks, “You guys do electrical repair, right?”

Katie, my service manager answers, “Yes, it's our specialty.”

“Well, I've got a problem you've never seen.”

“Really, that would be different. What's the problem?” Katie questions him.

“I don't know, I saw smoke coming from the starter, then the alternator, then the fuse box, so I disconnected a bunch of wires. It used to start, before I pulled the wires. Must be something else wrong with it now,” the guy tells Katie in detail.

Katie asks, “What kind of car?”

“It's a 1978 Subaru.”

“Not a very complicated car to have such an unknown problem. We can call a tow truck for you, and get it checked out.”

“Yea, but I doubt he'll know what's wrong with it, if it doesn't start.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t worry about that. He's pretty good at it, and I've seen him take some really bad looking situations and turn them into gems before.”

“Yea, but this is something he's never seen, so I doubt he'll know how to fix it.”

No matter what Katie said, or how she explained it, or how she pleaded, he wasn't buying it. Later, when she told me about the conversation I gave her my list of the common reasons why people like him ask these types of questions… make it sound impossible to fix… answers their own questions…then convinces themselves they already know how to repair it and wasted their time coming here. (All within the time they walked in the door)

#1 It's going to cost a lot... because, I don't know how to fix it.

#2 Electrical systems, they’re impossible to figure out. That’s why I can’t do it.

#3 Obviously, this shop doesn’t know, or they would have told me how to fix it by now.

#4 I could do the work myself, just wish I knew how.

#5 It's an electrical problem. I can't find it, and I know they won't be able to either. It’s too involved, so the best thing is to replace “everything”. Now I just need to know how much, that way I can tell if this shop is on the level or not.

I've seen this so many times. I'm surprised Katie lasted as long as she did with this guy. Well, it could be when you put a pretty girl at the front counter you might find some guys spending a lot more time there than if my ugly, old mug greeted them. Besides, she's a sweetheart, and I'm more of a growling bear.... (She gets a lot more of them in the shop than I do).

From time to time one of these guys will ultimately leave their car for me to work on. Chances are, as in past encounters, if their explanation is short and quick... the problem is involved and lengthy, but if they have to explain things in detail, with lengthy descriptions... chances are the problem is quick and simple. (Happens all the time). When they get the invoice and find out it didn't cost an arm and a leg, they're in shock. Once in a while I have to explain things back to them in detail... in extraordinary detail... because they can't believe it was that simple. Other times, they make a run for the door, as If I had made a mistake on the final bill and want to get out of there before I change my mind.

Although, I'd love to lean on the counter, hand on my chin, and smile as they explain things, it would probably look rude, and they'll probably get upset. My standing there with that quirky smirk, anticipating the next chapter in the life of their car might not look all that comical to them. They’ll likely think they either have just met the goofiest mechanic in town, or some certifiable wacko with a box of wrenches. I'll admit, it would be hilarious from my side of the counter. I already know where they're going with their saga. But, they don't know where I'm going...Oh, they will. Probably about the time I'm standing at the door with that big smile on my face, holding the door open and saying, “You have a wonderful day, and I hope you manage to find out what's wrong with your car at the next shop you end up at.”

Here's the deal. I don't know where or how in the vast history of the auto business any and all repairs can be answered in just a few minutes of discussion at the front counter. Or, just because you don't know what is wrong, doesn’t mean that “I” don't know what's wrong. But, that doesn't mean I’m going to tell you what's wrong... well, I will... only after I get the car in the shop. If I did tell you what I think it is, I may only gain the admiration of a prospective customer... who, in theory... will only show up the next time he/she has a problem that needs my expertise, and is going to do the same thing they did the last time… ask then leave.

I read a lot about how certain repairs should be a “no charge” from these so called “Experts on customer relationships”, or that mechanics shouldn’t charge for every little thing they do. At times I think these fellas who come in asking questions, and then answering their own questions are more worried about cost than they are of what is actually wrong with the car. I certainly understand that cost is a factor, but professional care of any sorts isn’t going to happen at the corner “discount auto center”. On the other hand, for those folks who don’t know the solution to their problems and their mechanic can't tell them, they tend to think nobody knows. It just might be that the mechanic isn't going to tell you... it's his/her job to know, to repair, and get paid for it.

It may seem like we’re concealing answers, it might seem like I'm being careful with my responses... and you're probably right. The automotive repair field takes constant renewal and dedication to the trade to keep up with the training and changes. It's not cheap either, and the thought that any mechanic, (dealership or independent), is told by their boss, or a customer, or for any other reason to do what he/she is trained for without any monetary, or satisfactory compensation to me is an insult to the profession.

I've been behind the service counter a lot longer than some of these “in and out the door” customers have been thinking of their questions and their anticipated answers, (even though I haven't answered a single question). So don't be surprised if I’m at the service counter with this quirky smile and my hand on my chin... because I've seen it all before, and I already know the routine. My advice; try not answering your own questions with your own answers, it just leaves more questions without answers.

View full article

• Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By Joe Marconi

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      This episode begins with a simple premise. 
      Craig recognizes his friend and former co-worker, Jeremy Glassco, as an excellent communicator and a man who asks great questions.
      Shortly after introducing Jeremy- you’ll see what Craig means!
      While exploring the topic of conversational questions, Craig invites Jeremy to explain his communication journey - which is a unique one.
      Jeremy was raised in the jungles of Papua New Guinea.  The son of a missionary family - Jermey, wouldn’t live in the US for more than a few months at a time until he was 17 years old. 
      This raised an interesting point - Jeremy highlighted a reality that few people experience, but we can all learn from.  The concept of being a ‘third culture’ kid. A third culture kid refers to those who were raised in a culture other than their parents', and also live in a different environment or society in their early upbringing.
      This conversation tackles everything from why asking questions was tactical for Jeremy, to how he came to join (arguably a 4th culture) the automotive industry.  From there - Craig and Jeremy challenge each other's perspectives on the direction that communication is taking in technology like in apps, software, and of course with AI.
      While listening, pay close attention to the questions that go back and forth between these two communicators… and enjoy some laughs along the way.
      Thank You To Our Partners:

The Institute at WeAreTheInstitute.com.  "Stop stressing over your business, you deserve a good night's sleep. The Institute’s coaching helps you achieve success and financial peace.
      AutoFlow at AutoFlow.com. Your partner in technology, Autoflow consolidates your client interactions - before, during and after the visit to a single thread. Learn more at Autoflow.com
      AutoLeap at AutoLeap.com. Are you tired of juggling multiple tools to manage your auto repair shop? Say hello to the streamlined efficiency of AutoLeap, the #1 all-in-one Auto Repair Shop Management Software!
      App Fueled at appfueled.com. “Are you ready to convert clients to members? AppFueled™ specializes in creating custom apps tailored specifically for auto repair businesses. Build your first app like a pro”
      Shop Dog Marketing at Shop Dog Marketing.com. "Want to see your auto repair shop thrive? Let Shop Dog Marketing be your guide. Our customer-first approach, combined with AI-driven creative content, ensures top rankings.
      Contact Information
      Email Craig O'Neill: [email protected]  
      The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/

Remarkable Results Radio Podcast with Carm Capriotto: Advancing the Aftermarket by Facilitating Wisdom Through Story Telling and Open Discussion. https://remarkableresults.biz/
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life. https://mattfanslow.captivate.fm/
      Business by the Numbers with Hunt Demarest: Understand the Numbers of Your Business with CPA Hunt Demarest. https://huntdemarest.captivate.fm/
      The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Kim and Brian Walker: Marketing Experts Brian & Kim Walker Work with Shop Owners to Take it to the Next Level. https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      The Weekly Blitz with Chris Cotton: Weekly Inspiration with Business Coach Chris Cotton from AutoFix - Auto Shop Coaching. https://chriscotton.captivate.fm/
      Speak Up! Effective Communication with Craig O'Neill: Develop Interpersonal and Professional Communication Skills when Speaking to Audiences of Any Size. https://craigoneill.captivate.fm/
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Changing The Industry
      The Secret to Getting Job Authorizations In Your Auto Repair Shop #podcast
    • By carmcapriotto
      When running your auto repair shop, burnout, stress, and exhaustion can feel like constant companions. How do you reignite your passion and find balance amidst the daily challenges?
      In this episode of the Auto Repair Marketing Podcast, Kim Walker hosts a solo cast with guest Jeff Salzenstein, a former professional tennis player turned coach and speaker. 
      Jeff shares his transformative journey from the tennis courts to becoming a coach focused on holistic well-being. He offers invaluable insights on overcoming adversity, redefining success, and managing burnout and stress through practical techniques like heart-focused breathing and tapping. 
      Jeff’s emphasis on resilience, mindset, and the interconnectedness of mind, body, and soul will inspire and equip you with tools to enhance your personal and professional well-being.
      Tune in for an episode packed with actionable strategies to help you thrive in both your business and personal life. Don’t miss it!
      Thank you to RepairPal for sponsoring The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. Learn more about RepairPal at https://repairpal.com/shops
      How To Get In Touch With The Guest
      https://www.jeffsalzenstein.com/ 
      https://www.instagram.com/jeffsalzenstein/ 
      https://www.facebook.com/jeffsalzensteinspeaker 
      How To Get In Touch
      Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected] 
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this episode of "The Weekly Blitz," Coach Chris Cotton explores the metaphor of changing pastures to symbolize personal and professional growth. He addresses the common belief that "the grass is always greener on the other side" and emphasizes the importance of recognizing when change is necessary. Chris offers practical tips for self-assessment, investing in personal growth, eliminating negativity, staying committed to goals, and being patient with the process. Aimed at auto repair shop owners and professionals, the episode encourages taking control of one's circumstances for improvement. The episode is sponsored by Shop Marketing Pros.

Introduction to the Podcast (00:00:08)
      Coach Chris Cotton introduces the episode and its focus on business insights for auto repair professionals.  
      The Grass is Always Greener (00:01:10)

Chris shares a metaphor about changing pastures for personal and professional growth, inspired by a meme.  
      Recognizing the Need for Change (00:02:16)

He discusses the common feeling of envy towards others' situations and the importance of assessing one's own life.  
      Challenges and Perceptions (00:03:18)

Chris reflects on how negativity can distort our view of others' success, leading to feelings of being stuck.  
      When to Change Pastures (00:04:22)

He emphasizes recognizing when it's time to shift environments for better personal and professional growth.  
      Tips for Cultivating Growth (00:05:29)

Chris provides actionable advice on assessing situations, investing in oneself, and making meaningful changes.  
      Conclusion and Encouragement (00:07:35)

He wraps up with a reminder that growth takes time and encourages listeners to embrace necessary changes for fulfillment.  

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook

• Our Sponsors