Quantcast

Neighborhood Mechanic - - - Leaving work at work... and not at home.

Gonzo

Neighborhood Mechanic

As the years start creeping by and the days go on and on, they tend to blend into one another. Then all of a sudden, you look back on all the years and wonder, "Have I made a career out of this mechanic stuff? I must have, I've been at this car repair thing for a long time."

There can only be one explanation for the whole thing, it's my job. It really is my career. … It's what I do, and I guess in some weird wacky way I must enjoy it. Week after week, year after year, I keep coming back and grind it out till the next tomorrow.

I'll work all day on cars and then I like to go home. I did mention going home, didn't I? … Well that's a subject dear to my heart; there is absolutely no reason I've ever found to work till dark-thirty every night. I'm just not that dedicated to the tool box I guess. I figure whatever it is… it will wait till tomorrow. I've never been one to want to work all night. I've got a home, I've got a family, I've got a life outside the shop. Work is work, but it's not my life's work… life itself is a career.

One thing that some people find odd about my career choice is that I don't spend my weekends building a race car or tinkering on some old restoration project. Seriously, I get enough bolt turning, knuckle busting, and grease under my fingernails during the normal work hours. I just can't get all that thrilled to do the same thing when I get home. (It might be OK for some guys, but not for me… I'll leave the grease and grime at the shop.) But, there are times when my career choice does come in handy at home or in the neighborhood. Sometimes, it's just to answer a technical question, sometimes it's to check out their latest purchases. Then other times, I see something going on and the "mechanic in me" just can't ignore it… I've got to get involved.

Many years ago I was living in a small town and I noticed an old import car sitting in the neighbor's driveway. Every now and then I would see a couple of guys under the hood doing some work on it, but the car never moved or started. Then one day I was out in my garage and I noticed another pair of "do-gooders" was working on it. I could hear the starter cranking away, and from the sound that the engine was making I had a pretty good idea what was wrong with it. I was busy with my own home chores, mowing the lawn, edging the driveway, that sort of thing and getting involved wasn't part of my weekend's plans. Besides, I didn't want to start any "home repairs" in front of my own house… that's what the shop is for.

After about an hour or so I was done with my projects, and the two guys were still cranking the starter on the old car. I couldn't stay away any longer, so I walked on over. Typically, the neighbor had full confidence in his two mechanics, and a nosey neighbor like me couldn't do much more than get in the way of his "experts". At least I was going to try before they burnt out the starter motor.

"Having car troubles?" I asked them.

"Yea, it's not getting gas right, going to pull the carburetor off and rebuild it because it's not keeping the gas in the engine. It keeps spitting it out," the first grease covered guy told me. (I think I know what kind of mechanic I'm staring at… with an answer like that I knew these guys didn't have a clue what they were doing.)

"You mind if I try something?" I said.

It was an early 80's import with a small 4 cyl. engine under the hood. I reached down and grabbed the crank pulley and gave it a little twist. I turned it over by hand a little bit when I felt the crankshaft keyway fall back into place.

"Try it now," I told the second so called mechanic.

VROOM! It started right up.

Of course these two guys were totally amazed. You could see the look on their shocked faces. Both of them were trying to figure out how some guy could walk across the street, reach, grab the crankshaft, give it a twist and the car magically starts.

"I could hear it was out of time from across the street. I thought it had slipped the timing belt, but when I turned the crankshaft I could feel that it was actually the crankshaft keyway had broken off, and that was throwing it out of time. I just aligned it up long enough to start it," I told the two ace mechanics. "As soon as you shut it off the crank and camshaft will spin out of time again, and the only way it will restart is if I realign the keyway one more time."

By now, the neighbor was helping the two "grease trackers" pick up their tools, and had their tool boxes already in the back of their truck before he even asked me if I would fix it for him. (Too funny)

Later that afternoon, the neighbor and I pulled the timing belt and crankshaft pulley off and installed a new keyway. So much for leaving it at the shop…. I've got to admit, this is was not a normal occurrence. I try not to even keep any tools at the house, and I try to make the excuse that I can't work on anything at home because all my tools are at the shop. (But they still ask.)

I'm very proud of what I do for a living, I'm very proud of my career choice. It may not be for everyone, but it suits me just fine. The only thing is I wish more people would take the time to recognize what it takes to become proficient at this job. It takes years of experience to be good at it, and yes, I do believe there is bit of that "given-talent" you need to have too. Some of us are born to be mechanics and technicians… and some… shouldn't be allowed near a tool box. But I still like to leave my job at the job and not at home.

If you think about it, everyone has several careers, one you get paid to do and the others you do because you like to do them. When I'm home, I don't mind too much mingling careers together, but I'd rather just be another good neighbor… and not the neighborhood mechanic.

I enjoy writing the stories and I enjoy your comments too. Each one of my columns have different ideas as to which story is going in their magazine. (I never have a clue till the magazine comes out which one is being published) I can somewhat help them decide. That's where ASO is a big help. Your comments and views lets me know which ones you like and which ones would most likely would be read in the various magazines.

So help me out by leaving a comment. Always appreciated. Gonzo

View full article

Great comments guys... I read them all with a big smile on my face. Ah, the memories... and YES I should have had a photo of these two guys... maybe another of the fella Joe surprised with his bill too. Thanks for the comments, glad ya liked the story.

• Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By nptrb

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Craig Noel recounts his near-death experience from multiple blood clots in his lungs and how it profoundly affected his perspective on life, family, and business. This life-altering event led Craig to reevaluate his priorities, emphasizing the importance of relationships and intentional living. Craig shares how his absence from work revealed the strength of his team and the culture he built. The discussion covers overcoming the "I can't" mentality, establishing accountability, and planning for unforeseen circumstances. Craig's story inspires listeners to cherish relationships, embrace change, and focus on what truly matters in life. Craig Noel, Sun Automotive, Springfield, OR. Listen to Craig’s previous episodes HERE Show Notes
      Craig's Near-Death Experience (00:01:13) Craig shares his story of a near-death experience caused by multiple blood clots in his lungs. Understanding the Health Crisis (00:02:12) Craig explains his symptoms leading to hospitalization and the discovery of the blood clots. Reflection on Life Changes (00:05:34) Craig reflects on how his near-death experience shifted his perspective on relationships and life priorities. The Importance of Relationships (00:07:17) Craig emphasizes the need to value relationships and communicate feelings intentionally. Reconnecting with Old Friends (00:08:29) Carm shares a personal story about reconnecting with an old friend, highlighting the importance of maintaining connections. Intentional Communication (00:09:41) Craig discusses the impact of intentionally reaching out to influential people in one's life. Material vs. Emotional Fulfillment (00:10:25) Craig contemplates the balance between material possessions and the importance of relationships. Living Without Distractions (00:12:00) Craig suggests leaving phones at home during family outings to foster better connections. The Impact of Technology on Relationships (00:12:25) Carm reflects on how technology affects family interactions and the need for personal discipline. Planning for Meaningful Experiences (00:13:14) Craig encourages planning meaningful experiences and spending time with loved ones. Business Continuity Discussion (00:15:42) Carm discusses the importance of planning for business continuity in case of unexpected events. Leadership and Team Discussions (00:16:49) Craig emphasizes the value of discussing business operations and leadership with team members. The importance of presence (00:17:04) Craig discusses the significance of being present and the impact of leadership on team culture. Reassessing leadership roles (00:17:41) Craig reflects on his need to be present and the realization that his team can thrive independently. Employee accountability (00:19:26) Discussion on implementing employee diaries to enhance accountability and track conversations. Introduction of 'Way We Do' software (00:20:11) Craig explains how this software helps manage SOPs and employee manuals effectively. The value of modifying processes (00:22:05) Emphasis on customizing borrowed ideas to fit your unique business culture for better results. Planning for unexpected events (00:23:05) Carm shares insights on having contingency plans, referencing a previous episode about preparedness. Updating legal documents (00:24:40) Craig talks about the importance of updating wills and trusts to ensure business continuity. Collaboration with professionals (00:25:27) Advice on involving various professionals to create a comprehensive support system for business planning. The importance of perspective (00:26:36) Craig shares personal insights on enjoying life and not feeling the need to prove oneself. Encouraging accountability (00:27:36) Carm suggests involving close individuals to hold each other accountable for life planning decisions. Impact on employees' lives (00:29:05) Craig reflects on how he can positively influence his employees' futures through thoughtful planning. Final thoughts on preparedness (00:30:04) Carm and Craig conclude with reflections on the need for proactive planning and emotional resilience.
      Thanks to our Partner, NAPA Auto Care Learn more about NAPA Auto Care and the benefits of being part of the NAPA family by visiting https://www.napaonline.com/en/auto-care Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections        
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      A lifelong student of history - this episode began as a serious topic of interest for Craig - and evolved into multiple conversations with a special guest. 
      For our listeners, we took our time with this episode and it was reviewed with careful consideration due to the significance of the subject.
      On June 6, 2024 - many of us in the free world paused to recognize a significant anniversary. The 80th anniversary of D-Day.
      D-Day, also known as Operation Overlord, was the allied invasion of Normandy to liberate Europe from Nazi tyranny. 
      There have been other milestone anniversaries of D-Day, but this year came at a very challenging time in the world and hits very differently that previous years for other reasons.
      The conversation begins around why that is.
      One term that was raised in one of the many articles written on the topic - was that we are losing our ‘tangible interpreters’ of the event. 
      The people who were there in 1944, the people that many of us knew or were even raised by, sadly, will not be with us much longer.  The knowledge of these major events now passes to those of us fortunate to know those who lived it and to take care in how we communicate these events to new generations who soon will never have the chance to meet a veteran of WWII.
      To help with this topic - Craig knew the perfect guest, Evan Wisner.
      When sharing an anniversary article with Evan, that article highlighted the Army Rangers DDAY operation on Point Du Huc, a conversation followed that we decided to take to the recording studio.
      Craig came to know Evan and appreciates his unique experiences and expertise as they are both members of Grand Rapids Toastmasters Club#404 - joining the club around the same time in 2019.  This means - Craig gets to hear a lot of great speeches from Evan.  Since Evan is both an EQ expert as well as a veteran of the war on terror who served alongside Army Rangers, you can be certain he brings a unique perspective to this conversation that makes it very much worth listening to.
      We ask listeners to take into consideration that this was a discussion focused on one major operation of a larger campaign of a greater war, and that all history, especially discussion around war, is limited, and does not tell every story, and often needs context for understanding.
      Thank You To Our Partners:
      The Institute at We Are The Institute.  "Stop stressing over your business, you deserve a good night's sleep. The Institute’s coaching helps you achieve success and financial peace.
      AutoFlow at AutoFlow.com. Your partner in technology, Autoflow consolidates your client interactions - before, during and after the visit to a single thread. Learn more at Autoflow.com
      AutoLeap at AutoLeap.com. Are you tired of juggling multiple tools to manage your auto repair shop? Say hello to the streamlined efficiency of AutoLeap, the #1 all-in-one Auto Repair Shop Management Software!
      App Fueled at appfueled.com. “Are you ready to convert clients to members? AppFueled™ specializes in creating custom apps tailored specifically for auto repair businesses. Build your first app like a pro”
      Shop Dog Marketing at Shop Dog Marketing.com. "Want to see your auto repair shop thrive? Let Shop Dog Marketing be your guide. Our customer-first approach, combined with AI-driven creative content, ensures top rankings.
      Contact Information
      Craig O'Neill Email: HERE  
      The Aftermarket Radio Network

Remarkable Results Radio Podcast with Carm Capriotto: Advancing the Aftermarket by Facilitating Wisdom Through Story Telling and Open Discussion
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life.
      The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Kim and Brian Walker: Marketing Experts Brian & Kim Walker Work with Shop Owners to Take it to the Next Level.
      The Weekly Blitz with Chris Cotton: Weekly Inspiration with Business Coach Chris Cotton from AutoFix - Auto Shop Coaching.
      Business by the Numbers with Hunt Demarest: Understand the Numbers of Your Business with CPA Hunt Demarest.
      Speak Up! Effective Communication with Craig O'Neill: Develop Interpersonal and Professional Communication Skills when Speaking to Audiences of Any Size.
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, Shop Boss, and 360 Payments
      Matt Fanslow, host of "Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z," discusses the critical importance of consulting service information before performing vehicle maintenance or repairs. Matt shares multiple real-world scenarios illustrating why thoroughly understanding service procedures is essential to avoiding costly mistakes and ensuring professional work.
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life. [email protected]
      Show Notes
      Importance of Service Information (00:00:25) Matt emphasizes the necessity of reading service information before starting any repair work. Common Mistakes in Vehicle Maintenance (00:01:12) Matt shares horror stories of technicians neglecting service information, leading to mistakes during vehicle maintenance. Encouragement to Use Service Info (00:04:03) Matt advises technicians to always consult service information before starting any job. Warranty Concerns and Accountability (00:05:05) Discussion on the importance of service information for warranty claims and accountability in repairs. Pay Structure and Professionalism (00:06:34) Matt addresses how pay structures can affect adherence to proper procedures in the automotive industry. Call to Action for Technicians (00:07:34) Matt encourages a cultural shift towards professionalism by prioritizing service information in repairs.  
      Thanks to our Partners, Shop Boss and 360 Payments

Shop Boss – Shop Management Software built by shop owners for shop owners. It works the way you need it to, right out of the box. Find on the web at https://shopboss.net
      Connect with the Podcast:
      -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/
      -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters
      -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976
      -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto
      -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/
      -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/
      -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz
      -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/
      -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider
      -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books
      -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom
      -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm
      -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com
      -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections
      The Aftermarket Radio Network
      Remarkable Results Radio Podcast with Carm Capriotto: Advancing the Aftermarket by Facilitating Wisdom Through Story Telling and Open Discussion
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life.
      The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Kim and Brian Walker: Marketing Experts Brian & Kim Walker Work with Shop Owners to Take it to the Next Level.
      The Weekly Blitz with Chris Cotton: Weekly Inspiration with Business Coach Chris Cotton from AutoFix - Auto Shop Coaching.
      Business by the Numbers with Hunt Demarest: Understand the Numbers of Your Business with CPA Hunt Demarest.
      Speak Up! Effective Communication with Craig O'Neill: Develop Interpersonal and Professional Communication Skills when Speaking to Audiences of Any Size.
    • By carmcapriotto
      Want to unlock new opportunities for your auto repair shop? Learn how to tap into local organizations that are eager to help your business thrive, connect with valuable resources, and maximize community support.
      We'll explore the benefits of the Small Business Development Center (SBDC), leveraging Downtown Development Districts, and participating in programs like Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses. 
      Plus, discover how to network with local government officials, secure grants, and enhance your shop's visibility and growth.
      Thank you to RepairPal for sponsoring The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. Learn more about RepairPal at https://repairpal.com/shops
      Lagniappe (Books, Links, Other Podcasts, etc)
      Tanchubajo Economic Development Foundation (TEDF) - https://www.tedf.org/ Small Business Development Center (SBDC) - sba.gov/sbdc Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses (10KSB) - https://10ksbapply.com/ The Idea Village in New Orleans - https://www.ideavillage.org/  
      Show Notes with Timestamps

Introduction to the Episode (00:00:01) The hosts introduce the podcast and discuss the episode's focus on local organizations for business support. Tangible Economic Development Foundation (00:01:10) Brian shares his experience with TDF, emphasizing its role in supporting local businesses. Importance of Economic Development Foundations (00:02:27) Discussion on how these foundations help attract businesses and provide resources, particularly for small enterprises. Small Business Development Centers (SBDC) (00:04:15) Kim explains the role of SBDCs, offering assistance with business planning, funding, and market research. SBDC Resources and Classes (00:06:09) Overview of various resources available through SBDCs, including classes and networking opportunities for business owners. Finding Your Local SBDC (00:08:09) Advice on how to locate an SBDC and the value it brings to small business owners. Downtown Development Districts (00:09:15) Brian introduces Downtown Development Districts and their potential benefits for businesses in historic areas. Engagement with Downtown Development Districts (00:10:12) Discussion on the importance of local business involvement and awareness of district events and resources. Marketing Opportunities through Events (00:11:15) Encouragement to participate in local events to promote businesses, even if they seem unrelated to automotive repair. Goldman Sachs 10,000 Small Businesses Program (00:13:17) Brian explains the program's purpose, which is to provide small business owners with essential skills and resources. Experience with the 10K SB Program (00:15:35) Kim shares her perspective on the program, highlighting its benefits and the connections made among participants. Startup Accelerators (00:16:32) Discussion on startup accelerators that help new businesses grow quickly, including local examples. Local Government Support (00:18:01) Insights on the role of local government in supporting businesses and fostering a positive business environment. Getting Involved in the Community (00:19:48) Encouragement to engage with local organizations and share experiences to benefit the community. Chamber of Commerce Importance (00:22:50) Highlighting the chamber of commerce as a key connection to other business organizations in the community. Networking Benefits (00:23:56) Personal stories illustrating how networking and involvement in local organizations can create valuable connections.  
      How To Get In Touch

Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected]

• Our Sponsors