Quantcast

One Penny At A Time - - Grumpy customer, and sacks of pennies

Gonzo

One Penny at a Time

One year I thought I’d try something to drum up some new business.  I’ll try a cash discount for large jobs.  Maybe this will bring in those new customers. It sounded like a good idea at the time, but as they say, “The best laid plans of mice and men….” certainly got involved on this little adventure.

The cash discount was going to run for a month, just to see if it was going to work.  All expectations looked promising. Jobs from a few weeks earlier had been contacted and informed of the new promotion to see if they’d like to reschedule that big job they were putting off.  Almost all of them set an appointment before the promotion deadline. Soon, the shop was bustling with new activity and jobs were getting stacked up waiting for an open service bay. Unfortunately, as usual, there’s always one sourpuss who has to ruin all the fun for everyone else.

Mr. Gripey came to the shop for an engine swap.  He was your typical bargain hunter/never going to be a regular/always had a complaint type customer. As he put it, “I’m going to be your number 1 customer, if you can get me done on time.”  I assured Mr. Gripey that everyone is our number 1 customer here and we would do everything we could to get him done, within reason, in a timely manner.

It was just another Ford Ranger V6 engine swap.  Nothing different from any other V6 Ranger we’ve done. That is except for Mr. Gripey, of course.  His periodic snooping and interrogating questioning of the mechanic (and his mentor) about the job was relentless.  It never fails, you get a snoopy-arrogant person barging in on the work the outcome is the same. It spells d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r every time something like this happens.  I was prepared for the inevitable and personally took on the job of double checking every part, every fastener, and every existing blemish on the vehicle just to be sure there was nothing Mr. Gripey could question once the job was completed.

The engine slipped back in place without a hitch, and every nut and bolt was torqued down to specs.  Everything was going as planned, except for one small detail.  The promised date of delivery.  Because of the work load and the arrival of the replacement engine, we missed his scheduled time of departure from the service bay by one whole day.  This was all the fodder Mr. Gripey needed to begin his wrath of expletives and insults as to how awful we’ve made the entire experience.  Was I surprised? No, not at all. Now he wanted an even bigger discount than what the promotion had offered.  I offered my condolences and gave a bit more off the top of the cost of the job. That wasn’t good enough.  He wanted it for free now.  Of course, that’s not going to happen.  Now, he has decided to refuse to pay for the job.

Several days passed between unanswered phone calls and messages left for Mr. Gripey to return for his vehicle.  The daily reconnoitering of the service bay when his truck was being serviced came to an end too. The mechanic and his apprentice mentor were relieved to move onto the next project.  Me, I was still stuck with the task of collecting the balance on the job. Which, is usually a rather pleasant experience filled with smiles and thank yous followed by a check, credit card, or cash.  But, not this time.

A week has gone by and Mr. Gripey hasn’t made an entrance yet.  Time for one more phone call, but this time with a little added incentive.  Mr. Gripey is going to be informed about storage charges for keeping his little pickup behind locked doors and that the charges would keep adding up until he showed up.  He was given a grace period until the end of the week, and if we didn’t hear from him by then… the storage charges would start from the day of this phone call.  

It’s no surprise, Mr. Gripey managed to show up at the shop that very afternoon. “I’m here to pay my bill and get my truck out of your $&^#*!!! shop,” he said, in a very disgruntled manner.  I gave him the total and said, “That’ll be cash, sir.”  I wasn’t about to give this guy a chance to walk out with the keys with anything less than a paid in full with good ol' “American currency” and a completed repair singed off. Mr. Gripey turned around and went out to his car and returned with three large bank bags.  He tossed the bags onto the counter and said, “Here ya go.  Count it if you feel like it.”  The bags were full of good old American currency alright, all of it … … … entirely pennies.

“I’ll take my truck now. If you don’t mind,” Mr. Gripey said.  I looked at the pile of coins starting to pour slowly out of the split open bag and looked back up at Mr. Gripey, “Uhm, sir, this is legal tender alright, but this is no way to pay your bill. But, in your case I’ll accept the payment only after it has been fully counted,” I said to him, trying to stare down his angry gaze, “So, just have a seat and I’ll get this counted and when it has been counted I’ll gladly hand the keys over to you.”  Mr. Gripey hadn’t planned his little caper out as well as he had thought. He thought I was just going to hand the keys over and I’d be stuck with several hours of counting pennies while he was long gone with a smirk on his face thinking he just pulled a fast one on a repair shop. The fact is, he wasn't getting the keys until I had every last penny was counted.   

With some help from the crew, we sat in the front office counting each and every penny one after another. And no, I wasn’t about to give the guy the satisfaction of taking the bags to the bank and have them counted.  I wanted him to sit there waiting the hours it took to have it all hand counted.  It was by far the best bonding time I had with the crew.  As we counted we talked about jobs in the shop, what was coming up next, tools, where we wanted to be in the next few years, our families, kids, and pastimes. 

Indirectly, Mr. Gripey did us all a huge favor by allowing us all to have a few hours of time together away from the wrenches.  We kept at it until we finished and never once did we remain quiet or stop for breaks. By the time the last penny was counted we were all tired of stacking pennies. We could finally get up from our chore and get Mr. Gripey out the door with his truck and warranty paper work. His warranty has expired a long time ago and if it was no surprise, he never did come back for even an oil change.

I’ve been paid with all kinds of things over the years.  From a stack of Susan B Anthony coins to a case of beer.  But, this was the first time anyone paid for an entire job with sacks full of pennies. Just for the record, if there is a next time… I’m not counting all those pennies again.  I’ll let the bank to do it and make the guy come back the next day.  Just don’t tell Mr. Gripey that.  He still may need another lesson or two on how to act civil at a repair shop.  Even if it is one penny at a time.

View full article

45 minutes ago, xrac said:

What a jerk. 

Yep, at least he paid for the job. LOL.  Unlike some of the BMW/MBenz folks that call and won't spend a penny on diag. time.  NOW, those guys really waste my time.  I've got better things to do than to explain diag. fees to someone who has no intention of ever spending any cash on a car they can't afford to drive ... let alone repair.  Where's that sand and beach at!?  

• Like 1

• Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By nptrb

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, Shop Boss, and 360 Payments AJ Nealey shares his journey from technician to business owner, highlighting key constraints to business growth in the auto repair industry. AJ emphasizes the importance of recognizing personal limitations, building a strong team, and implementing effective processes. He advocates for working "on" the business rather than "in" it and stresses personal development and accountability. This episode provides valuable strategies for overcoming challenges and creating a scalable business model, ultimately fostering long-term success. AJ Nealey, Nealey Auto Service, 5 locations, Edgewater, MD. AJ’s previous episodes HERE Show Notes
      Identifying Constraints (00:00:28) AJ discusses the primary constraint to business growth, drawing from his journey as a technician turned owner. Personal Experience and Growth (00:01:50) He shares insights on overcoming growth ceilings and emphasizes the importance of mentorship in his journey. The Biggest Constraint: Self (00:02:31) AJ identifies the self as the main constraint, urging owners to recognize personal limitations. Understanding Business Constraints (00:03:16) He explains the need to identify specific constraints like marketing or process issues for effective growth. Building a Strong Team (00:04:10) AJ stresses the importance of hiring the right people and developing a capable team for business scalability. Developing Middle Management (00:05:52) He discusses the necessity of creating a middle management layer as businesses grow from multiple locations. Hiring and Training Challenges (00:06:40) AJ highlights the significance of effective hiring and training processes in the automotive repair industry. Sales Process and Customer Retention (00:08:31) He emphasizes improving the sales process to retain existing customers and identify growth constraints. Working "On" vs "In" the Business (00:09:31) AJ reflects on the need to focus on strategic tasks rather than day-to-day operations for business growth. Identifying and Prioritizing Constraints (00:10:23) He encourages creating a power list of tasks that contribute to business growth and overcoming constraints. Creating Processes for Growth (00:11:26) AJ stresses the importance of documenting processes to ensure scalability and operational efficiency. Coaching and Accountability (00:12:56) He discusses using processes as tools for coaching and holding team members accountable for their performance. Personal Development and Business Growth (00:14:10) AJ emphasizes the importance of personal development for business owners and how it reflects on their business. Reflecting on Personal Constraints (00:15:04) Discussion on identifying personal limitations and the impact of self-awareness on business success. Embracing Challenges and Growth (00:15:48) AJ highlights the necessity of facing challenges and learning from failures on the path to success. Value of Time and Opportunity (00:17:30) The importance of recognizing time as a valuable commodity and serving the community with gratitude. Closing Thoughts on Constraints (00:18:09) AJ concludes by reiterating that personal constraints affect business growth and encourages proactive change.
      Thanks to our Partners, Shop Boss and 360 Payments Shop Boss – Shop Management Software built by shop owners for shop owners. It works the way you need it to, right out of the box. Find on the web at https://shopboss.net Connect with the Podcast: -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/ -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976 -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/ -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/ -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/ -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections The Aftermarket Radio Network Remarkable Results Radio Podcast with Carm Capriotto: Advancing the Aftermarket by Facilitating Wisdom Through Story Telling and Open Discussion Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life. The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Kim and Brian Walker: Marketing Experts Brian & Kim Walker Work with Shop Owners to Take it to the Next Level. The Weekly Blitz with Chris Cotton: Weekly Inspiration with Business Coach Chris Cotton from AutoFix - Auto Shop Coaching. Business by the Numbers with Hunt Demarest: Understand the Numbers of Your Business with CPA Hunt Demarest. Speak Up! Effective Communication with Craig O'Neill: Develop Interpersonal and Professional Communication Skills when Speaking to Audiences of Any Size.              
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By carmcapriotto
      In this episode of "Business by the Numbers," Hunt Demarest, CPA, kicks off a three-part series breaking down the 2024 Automotive Industry benchmark report for auto repair shops across the country. This report gives a clear look at how shops are performing financially and operationally, helping owners see where they stand.
      Key Points:
      • Benchmark Report Basics: The episode starts by explaining a detailed report that covers sales, profits, and key metrics for different types of auto repair shops, including Euro and diesel shops in various regions.
      • Sales and Tech Performance: The report shows average monthly sales per technician, highlighting how important it is to make sure your techs are productive and hitting industry standards.
      • Profit Margins: Hunt dives into the differences in profit margins on labor and parts, showing how different types of shops (like general repair versus high-end) stack up in terms of profitability.
      • Rising Costs: There’s a discussion on how rising costs, especially in labor and rent, are squeezing profits, and why keeping costs in check is crucial to staying in the black.
      • Industry Trends: The episode also covers big industry trends, like the need to offer solid employee benefits to attract good workers, and the different ways shops are paying their staff.
      • DOWNLOAD THE REPORT HERE: https://paarmelis.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/08/2024-PMA-Benchmark-Report.pdf
      Thanks to our partner, NAPA TRACS
      Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      Thanks to our partner, Promotive
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Download a Copy of My Books Here:
      Wrenches to Write-Offs Your Perfect Shop   
      The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com/

Remarkable Results Radio Podcast with Carm Capriotto: Advancing the Aftermarket by Facilitating Wisdom Through Story Telling and Open Discussion.
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life.
      Business by the Numbers with Hunt Demarest: Understand the Numbers of Your Business with CPA Hunt Demarest.
      The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Kim and Brian Walker: Marketing Experts Brian & Kim Walker Work with Shop Owners to Take it to the Next Level.
      The Weekly Blitz with Chris Cotton: Weekly Inspiration with Business Coach Chris Cotton from AutoFix - Auto Shop Coaching.
      Speak Up! Effective Communication with Craig O'Neill: Develop Interpersonal and Professional Communication Skills when Speaking to Audiences of Any Size.
    • By carmcapriotto
      Thanks to our Partners, Shop Boss, and 360 Payments
      Matt Fanslow, host of "Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z," discusses the critical importance of consulting service information before performing vehicle maintenance or repairs. Matt shares multiple real-world scenarios illustrating why thoroughly understanding service procedures is essential to avoiding costly mistakes and ensuring professional work.
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life. [email protected]
      Show Notes
      Importance of Service Information (00:00:25) Matt emphasizes the necessity of reading service information before starting any repair work. Common Mistakes in Vehicle Maintenance (00:01:12) Matt shares horror stories of technicians neglecting service information, leading to mistakes during vehicle maintenance. Encouragement to Use Service Info (00:04:03) Matt advises technicians to always consult service information before starting any job. Warranty Concerns and Accountability (00:05:05) Discussion on the importance of service information for warranty claims and accountability in repairs. Pay Structure and Professionalism (00:06:34) Matt addresses how pay structures can affect adherence to proper procedures in the automotive industry. Call to Action for Technicians (00:07:34) Matt encourages a cultural shift towards professionalism by prioritizing service information in repairs.  
      Thanks to our Partners, Shop Boss and 360 Payments

Shop Boss – Shop Management Software built by shop owners for shop owners. It works the way you need it to, right out of the box. Find on the web at https://shopboss.net
      Connect with the Podcast:
      -Follow on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RemarkableResultsRadioPodcast/
      -Join Our Virtual Toastmasters Club: https://remarkableresults.biz/toastmasters
      -Join Our Private Facebook Community: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1734687266778976
      -Subscribe on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/carmcapriotto
      -Follow on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/carmcapriotto/
      -Follow on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/remarkableresultsradiopodcast/
      -Follow on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RResultsBiz
      -Visit the Website: https://remarkableresults.biz/
      -Join our Insider List: https://remarkableresults.biz/insider
      -All books mentioned on our podcasts: https://remarkableresults.biz/books
      -Our Classroom page for personal or team learning: https://remarkableresults.biz/classroom
      -Buy Me a Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/carm
      -The Aftermarket Radio Network: https://aftermarketradionetwork.com
      -Special episode collections: https://remarkableresults.biz/collections
      The Aftermarket Radio Network
      Remarkable Results Radio Podcast with Carm Capriotto: Advancing the Aftermarket by Facilitating Wisdom Through Story Telling and Open Discussion
      Diagnosing the Aftermarket A to Z with Matt Fanslow: From Diagnostics to Metallica and Mental Health, Matt Fanslow is Lifting the Hood on Life.
      The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast with Kim and Brian Walker: Marketing Experts Brian & Kim Walker Work with Shop Owners to Take it to the Next Level.
      The Weekly Blitz with Chris Cotton: Weekly Inspiration with Business Coach Chris Cotton from AutoFix - Auto Shop Coaching.
      Business by the Numbers with Hunt Demarest: Understand the Numbers of Your Business with CPA Hunt Demarest.
      Speak Up! Effective Communication with Craig O'Neill: Develop Interpersonal and Professional Communication Skills when Speaking to Audiences of Any Size.
    • By carmcapriotto
      In this week's episode of Business by the Numbers, Hunt Demarest, CPA, dives into the latest updates on the Employee Retention Tax Credit (ERTC) from the IRS. This episode is a must-listen if you're unsure about your ERTC status or how it impacts your taxes.
      Explore the IRS's recent announcements and what they mean for your ERTC claims. Understand the different risk categories the IRS has assigned to ERTC applications. Learn the tax implications if you’ve received ERTC funds but haven’t filed your taxes yet. Get practical advice on what to do if you're still waiting for your ERTC money.  
      Thanks to our partner, NAPA TRACS

Did you know that NAPA TRACS has onsite training plus six days a week support?
      It all starts when a local representative meets with you to learn about your business and how you run it.  After all, it's your shop, so it's your choice.
      Let us prove to you that Tracs is the single best shop management system in the business.  Find NAPA TRACS on the Web at NAPATRACS.com
      Thanks to our partner, Promotive
      It’s time to hire a superstar for your business; what a grind you have in front of you. Great news, you don’t have to go it alone. Introducing Promotive, a full-service staffing solution for your shop. Promotive has over 40 years of recruiting and automotive experience. If you need qualified technicians and service advisors and want to offload the heavy lifting, visit www.gopromotive.com.
      Paar Melis and Associates – Accountants Specializing in Automotive Repair
      Visit us Online: www.paarmelis.com
      Email Hunt: [email protected]
      Download a Copy of My Books Here:
      Wrenches to Write-Offs Your Perfect Shop   
      Aftermarket Radio Network

Remarkable Results Radio Podcast with Carm Capriotto: Advancing the Aftermarket by Facilitating Wisdom Through Story Telling and Open Discussion

• Our Sponsors