Quantcast

Paper Or Plastic - It used to be paper, now it's plastic.

Gonzo

Paper or Plastic

A customer comes to the checkout counter with their loaded down shopping cart, the clerk asks, “Paper or Plastic ma’am?” We don’t even think about it, it’s just the way things are. Paper or plastic. It’s where we are in the world these days. However, the last time I went shopping with the wife I started thinking about that very subject. You know, paper or plastic, and how far we’ve come in the last couple of decades. Stop and think about it; how many different things were paper based products, but is now plastic? The list runs the gambit from the phones we all carry to the way things are packaged. Just about every item in a household is affected by plastic these days.

The modern world as we know it today is so much different than just a few generations ago. It’s a constantly evolving and ever changing system of checks and balances to our existence. Each new technical advancement, whether it’s in plastics or electronics, brings on its own set of problems as well as making us aware of our previous technical failures. Along with these ever improving, ever changing advancements in technology, we’ve also been made aware of how crucial it is to be the custodians of our environment, and how fragile the eco system really is.

I can remember back in my early years as a mechanic when oil cans were made with cardboard sides and metal ends. There was a funnel/spout that you had to shove into the top of the can so that you could pour it into the car. Once in a while you’d stab a can, and instead of the spout going through the lid it would crush the side of the cardboard can. Makes an awful mess when that happens, and when it did I’d get the typical lecture about being a greenhorn kid who didn’t even know how to open a can of oil.

There was a time when most things manufactured used more natural products than plastics. A natural product such as cotton or paper may have been the only thing available at the time. However, being a natural product it tended to degrade and deteriorate with time and weather. Those old oil cans pretty much disappeared after a while. The lids would rust away, and the cardboard just seemed to vanish. Then, when plastics came along it made a world of difference how everyday items were produced. Now, with the all plastic oil cans there’s not much in the way of deteriorating or degrading.

Gone was the lonely oil can spout too! The first plastic oil cans looked very similar to the old cardboard cans, so there for a time you still needed the old spout. It took a while before they finally made them with the shape we know today. I kept one of those old style oil can spout/funnels in my tool box for a long time. Don’t know why I did, and I’m not too sure where it is, but I’ll bet it’s still there… somewhere.

The change from paper to plastics not only brought on changes to the cars, but also how the mechanics repaired them. Who else remembers setting a set of points with a paper match book cover? (For you younger techs you might have to go ask one of the old salty dogs in the shop what a set of points are, and while you’re at it ask him what a match book cover is, too.) All that timing and dwell issues we used to have to deal with is handled by a small sensor mounted in a piece of plastic these days.

Shop work orders are another thing that plastics have taken over. They used to be made up of several sheets of paper with a carbon paper between the copies. Ya had to press hard to get through all the layers, and it wasn’t uncommon to have someone come back with their receipt that you couldn’t even read. That evolved into the carbonless copies, then to a rough paper copy that the mechanic could scratch out what was being done and then it would be sent to the front office where the entire invoice would be typed into a computer. It took banks of filing cabinets to store all the invoices too. Today, the whole process is almost entirely paperless with laptops the mechanic uses to fill out work orders, and all the data can be stored on a small plastic thumb drive.

A lot of car components have changed from a paper based product to plastic as well. The old “rope” type rear seal changed over to the new and improved one piece plastic/rubber seal. Nearly all of the gaskets on an engine used to be made from paper or cork. There might still be a few hold outs using paper for their gaskets, but for the most part all the gaskets today are a composite material made with some form of plastic or paper coated with plastic resin.

Along with these changes from paper to plastic we also had to take a good look at our environment as well. Not just the smog but the recycling aspects. Right now, the automobile is the most widely recycled consumer product, even with all the various plastics they contain. That alone is pretty impressive. But, the stringent US emission standards don’t hold true all over the globe. Pollution levels in China, Mexico, and Africa are at staggering levels.

But, if you’re curious whether or not there’s even more changes in store for us, well, look no further than your local grocery store. Back when groceries stores bagged everything only with paper sacks, you’d take your groceries home and save the bags for a rainy day. Everybody had a stack of paper sacks tucked away somewhere. I think my grandmother had the market cornered on paper grocery bags though, she had a room full of them.

Then, along came the plastic bag. It took up less space at the end of the checkout counter and were cheaper to make. Just like the paper sack, the plastic bag did have a secondary use when it was home. Most of time as a trash bag, which ended up right where you didn’t want to put them… in the landfill. Nowadays, that’s changing as well. A lot of major grocery stores offer discounts if you bring your own reusable shopping bags with you. In our household we’ve made the change to reusable insulated grocery bags quite some time ago, and I really don’t miss having those paper or plastic bags stuffed somewhere in the house.

I could see this catching on in other stores as well. I think it would be a safe prediction to say that sometime in the future everyone will be carrying their own bags into department stores, shoe stores, appliance stores, 7-11’s, liquor stores, and perhaps even parts stores too!

We’ve come a long way in taking on the responsibility for the eco system that we are leaving for the next generation, and I’m sure even better and better technical advancements will improve on what we already have.

So, I think I’m going to start something new at the shop. When I’m at the service counter with somebody ready to check out, I’m going to ask them, “Will that be paper or plastic?” Just to see their reaction. Hey, money is made from paper, credit cards are plastic, why not? I just wonder how long it will be before the dollar is more plastic than cotton fibers and paper? I guess that’s the kind of change that will change our change.

View full article

• Like 1

• Available Subscriptions

• Have you checked out Joe's Latest Blog?

0 comments
      It always amazes me when I hear about a technician who quits one repair shop to go work at another shop for less money. I know you have heard of this too, and you’ve probably asked yourself, “Can this be true? And Why?” The answer rests within the culture of the company. More specifically, the boss, manager, or a toxic work environment literally pushed the technician out the door.
      While money and benefits tend to attract people to a company, it won’t keep them there. When a technician begins to look over the fence for greener grass, that is usually a sign that something is wrong within the workplace. It also means that his or her heart is probably already gone. If the issue is not resolved, no amount of money will keep that technician for the long term. The heart is always the first to leave. The last thing that leaves is the technician’s toolbox.
      Shop owners: Focus more on employee retention than acquisition. This is not to say that you should not be constantly recruiting. You should. What it does means is that once you hire someone, your job isn’t over, that’s when it begins. Get to know your technicians. Build strong relationships. Have frequent one-on-ones. Engage in meaningful conversation. Find what truly motivates your technicians. You may be surprised that while money is a motivator, it’s usually not the prime motivator.
      One last thing; the cost of technician turnover can be financially devastating. It also affects shop morale. Do all you can to create a workplace where technicians feel they are respected, recognized, and know that their work contributes to the overall success of the company. This will lead to improved morale and team spirit. Remember, when you see a technician’s toolbox rolling out of the bay on its way to another shop, the heart was most likely gone long before that.
  • Similar Topics

• By Changing The Industry
      Episode 180 - Navigating Customer Expectations With The Founder of Datadyne Joshua Hemmerling
    • By DUFRESNES

Premium Member Content 

This content is hidden to guests, one of the benefits of a paid membership. Please login or register to view this content.

• By carmcapriotto
      Join Brian Walker in this thought-provoking episode of the Auto Repair Marketing Podcast as he delves into the controversial philosophy of "just say yes" in the auto repair industry. 
      Brian explores how this approach can influence your marketing efforts, customer service, and overall shop success. 
      He shares real-life examples of missed opportunities, highlighting the importance of proper service advisor training and the need to always look for ways to turn a "no" into a positive response. 
      Tune in to gain valuable insights on optimizing your shop's phone interactions and maximizing your marketing investments. 
      Thank you to RepairPal for sponsoring The Auto Repair Marketing Podcast. Learn more about RepairPal at https://repairpal.com/shops
      Lagniappe (Books, Links, Other Podcasts, etc)
      Episode 106: shopmarketingpros.com/106
      Empower Your Advisor : https://empoweryouradvisor.com/
      Episode 2: Brian's Euro shop : https://shopmarketingpros.com/kim-and-brian-tell-their-story/
      Episode 45: phone skills with Cecil Bullard: 
      https://shopmarketingpros.com/ep-45-phone-skills-amplify-your-marketing-with-cecil-bullard/
      Show Notes with Timestamps
      Introduction to "Just Say Yes" (00:00:10) Brian introduces the concept of "just say yes" in auto repair marketing. Philosophy Overview (00:01:18) Discussion on the philosophy of getting cars into shops, regardless of capacity or customer interest. The Divide in the Industry (00:02:12) Explains the polarizing nature of the "just say yes" philosophy among auto repair shops. Marketer's Perspective (00:02:12) Brian shares his insights as a marketer and the importance of customer engagement. Stressful Nature of Service Advisor Role (00:03:13) Highlights the stress faced by service advisors and its impact on customer interactions. Service Advisor Training Importance (00:04:20) Discusses the necessity of proper training for service advisors to improve customer retention. Examples of Missed Opportunities (00:05:17) Shares anecdotes illustrating how service advisors discourage potential customers. Case Study: Diesel Engine Inquiry (00:06:22) Describes a call where a service advisor prematurely dismissed a customer’s request. Flat Tire Assistance Example (00:07:24) Discusses a missed opportunity to create customer loyalty through service. Air Conditioning Inquiry Mismanagement (00:08:23) Highlights a situation where a service advisor refused service based on engine type. Timing Belt Refusal (00:09:24) Details a call where a service advisor rejected a customer based on vehicle age. RepairPal Sponsorship Mention (00:10:19) Introduces RepairPal as a resource for connecting shops with new customers. Frustration with Service Advisors (00:11:25) Expresses frustration over service advisors frequently telling potential customers "no." Misunderstanding Customer Needs (00:12:17) Discusses the importance of understanding customer queries beyond their initial questions. Radiator Inquiry Example (00:13:16) Describes a call where a service advisor failed to explore the customer's actual needs. Exhaust Repair Refusal (00:14:12) Shares an example of a service advisor not offering solutions for exhaust repairs. Training for Service Advisors (00:15:12) Importance of service advisor training and understanding good phone skills for effective customer engagement. Turning No into Yes Examples (00:16:23) Brian shares practical examples of converting customer inquiries from no to yes during phone interactions. The Philosophy of Saying Yes (00:17:23) Discussion on the positive implications of saying yes, while maintaining integrity and customer trust. Value of Marketing with Yes (00:18:23) Emphasizing that looking for ways to say yes enhances marketing effectiveness and customer satisfaction. Closing Remarks and Thank You (00:19:08) Brian thanks listeners and sponsors, encouraging engagement with the podcast and its content.  
      How To Get In Touch

Group - Auto Repair Marketing Mastermind
      Website - shopmarketingpros.com 
      Facebook - facebook.com/shopmarketingpros 
      Get the Book - shopmarketingpros.com/book
      Instagram - @shopmarketingpros 
      Questions/Ideas - [email protected] 
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio
    • By Changing The Industry
      Socializing With Customers While Shopping #podcast #automotiveindustry
    • By carmcapriotto
      The Weekly Blitz is brought to you by our friends over at Shop Marketing Pros. If you want to take your shop to the next level, you need great marketing. Shop Marketing Pros does top-tier marketing for top-tier shops.
      Click here to learn more about Top Tier Marketing by Shop Marketing Pros and schedule a demo:https://shopmarketingpros.com/chris/
      Check out their podcast here: https://autorepairmarketing.captivate.fm/
      If you would like to join their private Facebook group go here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/autorepairmarketingmastermind
      In this episode of "The Weekly Blitz," Coach Chris Cotton uses a vivid pumpkin patch analogy to illustrate how auto repair shops can significantly enhance customer experiences. Cotton begins by painting a picture of a basic pumpkin patch visit, where customers simply pick out a pumpkin and leave. He then contrasts this with an extravagant pumpkin patch experience, where visitors are treated to hayrides, corn mazes, petting zoos, and festive food stands, creating a memorable and engaging outing for families. Through this analogy, Cotton emphasizes the importance of creating memorable, engaging experiences rather than just providing basic services.
      Cotton challenges shop owners to elevate their customer interactions from ordinary to extraordinary by focusing on exceptional service. He suggests that just as an extravagant pumpkin patch offers more than just pumpkins, auto repair shops should offer more than just repairs. This could include personalized customer service, comfortable waiting areas, transparent communication, and follow-up calls to ensure customer satisfaction. By doing so, shops can build stronger relationships with their customers, leading to increased loyalty and positive word-of-mouth.
      Additionally, Cotton promotes Shop Marketing Pros for their expertise in helping auto repair shops stand out in a competitive market. He highlights how their marketing strategies can help shops create a unique brand identity and attract more customers. The episode aims to motivate listeners to improve their business practices and customer interactions, encouraging them to think creatively about how they can enhance the overall customer experience.
      Overall, Cotton's message is clear: by going above and beyond in their service offerings, auto repair shops can transform routine transactions into extraordinary experiences, ultimately driving business growth and customer satisfaction.

Introduction to the Podcast (00:00:05)
      Coach Chris Cotton introduces "The Weekly Blitz" and its focus on auto repair business insights.  
      Generic Marketing Strategies (00:01:08)

Introduction of Shop Marketing Pros, emphasizing their tailored solutions for auto repair businesses.  
      Pumpkin Patch Analogy (00:01:40)

Coach Chris Cotton shares a fun analogy comparing basic and deluxe pumpkin patch experiences.  
      Basic Pumpkin Patch Experience (00:02:25)

Description of a typical, forgettable visit to a basic pumpkin patch.  
      Deluxe Pumpkin Patch Experience (00:03:32)

Contrast of a memorable and engaging visit to a deluxe pumpkin patch with numerous activities.  
      Applying the Analogy to Auto Repair (00:04:41)

Encouragement for auto repair shops to evaluate their customer experience on a scale of one to five.  
      Basic Auto Repair Shop Experience (00:05:50)

Illustration of a bland experience at a one-star auto repair shop.  
      Deluxe Auto Repair Experience (00:06:55)

Vision of a top-notch auto repair experience with exceptional customer service and amenities.  
      Customer Loyalty and Experience (00:07:55)

Discussion on how outstanding service fosters customer loyalty and positive word-of-mouth.  
      Conclusion and Call to Action (00:09:01)

Encouragement for shop owners to elevate their customer experience beyond the basics.  

Connect with Chris:
      [email protected]
      Phone: 940.400.1008
      www.autoshopcoaching.com
      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/
      AutoFixAutoShopCoachingYoutube: https://bit.ly/3ClX0ae

#autofixautoshopcoaching #autofixbeautofixing #autoshopprofits #autoshopprofit #autoshopprofitsfirst #autoshopleadership #autoshopmanagement #autorepairshopcoaching #autorepairshopconsulting #autorepairshoptraining #autorepairshop #autorepair #serviceadvisor #serviceadvisorefficiency #autorepairshopmarketing #theweeklyblitz #autofix #shopmarketingpros #autofixautoshopcoachingbook
      Click to go to the Podcast on Remarkable Results Radio

• Our Sponsors